PinkSkyCloud asked in HealthDental · 8 years ago

Wisdome tooth extraction...I had my wisdom tooth extracted yesterday, the dentist asked if I'm going to be?

home for the next few days. I said yes until Monday because I had taken the time off. He said the swelling would get worse on the 3rd before it got better. However my boss thinks I'll be okay on Friday even though she gave me the time off. My first question is why would pain and swelling be worse on the 3rd day? My second question for those of you who have taken Vicodin, is if I did go to work and my teeth started hurting how sleepy does Vicodin actually make you...sleepy as in a little tired, sleepy as if you taken benadryl or sleepy as in that pill as in that pill they give you right before you have surgery? Thanks for reading and maybe answering.

As a rule, they put you underneath common anesthesia for wisdom teeth. They're going to normally make one more appointment. You most often cannot consume or drink some thing for a few hours earlier than they put you underneath. Additionally, it is nice to just have all 4 done at the same time. Have fun getting them out. I endorse you go to the video retailer and appoint a bunch of films. Also, inventory up on bloodless pops and yogurt and other convenient to swallow foods.

The pain and swelling gradually increase and are usually at their worst on the 2nd and 3rd days. I don't know exactly why, but it is similar to most any kind of injury. If you get hit in the nose by a baseball, it is not immediately terribly swollen and painful. The swelling and pain gradually gets worse over the first 2-3 days and then starts to go down. If you start being active too soon, like going to work, you will actually start to swell and hurt more. Vicodin acts differently on different people. It usually does not make you as sleepy as the pill before surgery, probably more like a benadryl. But you won't know until you see how it affects you. Many times it is more of a loopy, funny, sleepy feeling. It is best to take something like Advil or Tylenol if you are going to be driving or working. If you drive with this in your system and were to have an accident, that would not be good. Just take it easy through the weekend, get lots of rest, and please avoid using a straw. You don't want a dry socket. Take care!

Source(s): 15 years dental office experience