Could a person with a GED become a medical doctor?

First off, please do not tell me to just finish high school and got to a community college blah blah blah. That will not change my mind about getting my GED and it's offensive that you are selfish enough to think that you can change someone who you don't even knows mind about a big decision. I'll spare you the energy of typing an unnecessary answer by saying I have my mind set on what I want do and none of your "motivational" bullsh*t about why I should stay in high school will change my mind.

Aight, now that that is out of the way, I am 17 and a junior in high school. I kind of want to be a psychiatrist when I grow up, but I'm not sure if that's what I really want to do for the rest of my life. Like I don't want to be trapped in an office all day. I kind of also want to be a bakery chef or a photographer or a music manager.

In a few days, or I guess a couple weeks since next week is thanksgiving week for schools where I live, I will be taking the GED exam. I kind of messed up my high school education already because in 9th grade I went to online school where I got a D average since there was nobody to really force me to work, thus I spent most of the time I was supposed to be doing school napping. Then in tenth grade I was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderall, but taken off of it at the worst time of the year: finals week! Long story short, for tenth grade I failed 3 classes and had a C average in the rest of my classes. I would like to point out that I am actually very smart, I just got bad grades these past two years because of my ADHD. This year, as a junior, I am going to an online school again because I had no other choice and am failing all my classes except P.E.

I have a problem with these bad grades because no university I want to go to will accept the GPA I'll have by the time I graduate high school. Even if I do finish high school, I'll still have the bad grades and have to start in a community college before going to a university anyways, so why not just get my GED now and do that?

Now my ADHD is being properly treated again and I feel like I can restart my life as a student by getting a GED, moving to a different state and going to college.

My plan is to get my GED, move to another state such as California (my home state) or Florida (where my bestie wants to go to college when she graduates high school), and then after about 2 years transfer to a university where I can complete my bachelors degree and figure out what I want I do with my life. By the way, I know I will get a really good score on the GED because I am very smart if the circumstances are right and if my mind is really set on something.

So, my only question is, if I get my GED, go to a community college for 2 years, transfer to a university and complete my bachelors degree in science, could I theoretically get into medical school?

Favorite Answer

Didn't read your entire entry - too difficult to read without any paragraphs and with all the grammatical errors, etc.

Unless you want to be a doctor more than anything you can imagine [baker or whatever else you mentioned], then you have one strike against you. It takes so much discipline, so much hard work and so much determination - not to mention so much money - to become a doctor, that it requires all of those attributes to have a chance of making it.

In college, you'd have to earn at LEAST a 3.5 GPA and as close to a 4.0 in the required sciences as possible, especially o-chem [that's a "weeding out" course for med school applicants]. You need to get great recommendation letters, get a great MCAT score and, preferably, have the time to work in a prof's lab, say over the summer and during the school year. Even with that, med school is difficult to get into - and even more difficult to stay in. You'll rack up lots of debt, as there are no scholarships in med school. [Well, I know someone who got a full ride at a top school, but then she was a truly outstanding undergrad student - had published papers in journals as a result of her work with her profs in labs]. Then, there are the three "killer" years of residency - 80-hour work weeks, lots of overnight on-call duty [i.e. no sleep], etc.

If you DO go to a CC, try to take as many gen ed classes as possible, but NOT science courses. Med schools don't look favorably on CC science classes. Which means you'll be loaded down with science [lab] courses junior and senior years, which means a lot of stress, unless you're a stellar science student.

So, you theoretically COULD do it, if you're really determined, bright and ambitious. Good luck!

NO, you need to go to college and study pre-med, then 4 years of medical school, then and internship and residency (another 5 years or so)...then you are ready to work as a doctor. Watching episodes of House and Grey's Anatomy does not count.

• jdphd

Yes. Medical schools will not look at your high school history or transcripts. Most likely, they won't even know that you have a GED rather than a high school diploma. All they are going to focus on are your college grades in pre-medical courses.

Source(s): I have a graduate degree in psychology. http://www.recoveredlives.com/treatment/types-of-t... has good information on psychiatrists and on the different types of mental health professionals.

Theoretically yes. Chances are 1 in a million though

• eri

Yes, theoretically, that could work. However, starting at community college will hurt your application for med school. You're much better off starting at a 4-year college or university. If you score high on the GED, you will have that option. But keep in mind we hear this a lot - kids who dropped out and slacked off who are convinced they are very smart despite never having applied themselves to find out whether or not that's really the case.

• drip

Honestly didn't read it all...

having a GED is not a problem. But going to a CC is. Medical schools are very difficult to get into. They will not accept any pre med (science/math) credits taken at a CC. Going to a CC is just going to lower your chances at a med school, even with a good GPA.

Try to go direct to a four year college. Many accept a GED to apply