Could I still serve an LDS mission with a bankruptcy on my record?

I was in a massive car crash in July and I have kind of opened up to the idea of going on a mission. I am barley 18 and have over $300,000 in medical debt. I know that I will not be able to serve with that debt so will I still be able to if I declare bankruptcy? I myself am a convert to the church so to serve a mission would have some meaning to mel

Favorite Answer

I'm sure you could. They probably don't do a credit check.

• Ammon

My vote is for Bankruptcy.

http://mormon.org/ Chat.

God bless.

• j p

This is a question for your bishop.

From a financial perspective though, I don't know how someone your age who hasn't gone to college and considering the current economic climate can ever meet that financial obligation in their lifetime. And the sooner you declare medical bankruptcy the sooner your credit score recovers. But you really shouldn't take financial advise from random people on the internet. You also shouldn't take financial advice from fortune cookies.

• There are not too many of us who could pay $300, 000 in medical bills. You should contact an attorney to see what your options are in settling the debt.

And let your bishop know of your concerns. I am pretty confident that this shouldn't be an issue in the end.

Yes, but just don't tell anybody you'll be wearing silk holy underpants with tassels.

Here's an idea, leave people alone to decide for themselves and get your own pathetic life together.