Tamar asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 8 years ago

I don't understand this line of poetry?

In the poem A Birthday by: Christina Rosseti, what does she mean when she says: Raise me a dais of silk and down; hang it with vair and purple dyes; Carve it in doves and pomegranates, and peacocks with a hundred eyes; work it in gold and silver grapes, in leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys

Favorite Answer

A dais is a raised platform, like what somebody gives a speech from, or where a Queen's throne might be placed in front of an audience. Vair is a kind of fur (made from squirrel pelts) formerly used for clothing; it's also the name for a specific pattern of colors resembling fur used in coats-of-arms. "Work it in gold etc." means decorate or adorn it with those things. Fleurs-de-lys are stylized artistic representations of lily flowers, also used in coats-of-arms and as the symbol of France, New Orleans, and the Virgin Mary.

Basically, in these lines the speaker of the poem is asking for either herself or her lover, or both, to be exalted and treated like royalty because she is celebrating. (It's not really her literal birthday; the rest of the poem explains why she's celebrating.)

It just lure you with beautiful word and material things, just to gain fame and money. With gold and silver, single eye can be multiply by thousand folds.

Look at the news.They are the result of those words, that do not contribute good thing to humanity.

You just make me mad.

• Joe

Sounds to me that she wants to be pampered in an extreme manner.