Hard Drive needs to be check for consistency?

I got that message saying my c drive needs to be checked for consistency. I followed some internet steps to fix it. However, even though the message is gone, the error seems to still be there. I can't launch VLC player, some computer games, photoshop, etc. They just don't launch and some crash instantly. For example, google chrome will say there is a problem causing google chrome to stop working.

What do I do? I'm using windows 7 laptop with an SSD.

Also, scanning the C drive, the scan results could not be completed for a lot of files because " the device is not ready" . What is going on here? :S

OK things are getting worse. Now remote procedure call has failed and I can't access the drive at all. Only Skype and Firefox seem to be the unaffected program. Help, what do I do???