Is it bad if my pain medicine starts working faster?

I take Oxycodine for severe headaches and back pain (Caused by surgeries to remove big ol' tumors. I don't know why I get the headaches though.), and recently, it's been taking less and less time to kick in. Is this a bad thing? Am I getting addicted? I've been taking it for a year and a half.

Favorite Answer

Hmmmm......? This is a bit unusual. Okay, all medications (at least most and Oxy is one of them) enter the blood stream within 15 minutes and begin working. If your meds are working any faster than that I don't have a clue as to why. I've been taking Oxycontin for 11 years, also due to spine surgeries, and my meds are less effective over time rather than working faster. I've never had the experience that you're having. I did learn a trick to help make them work better, I take an Aleve with my pain medication to give it that extra punch I need to help with the pain. I've been on the same dosage the entire 11 years and they obviously don't work very well for me anymore. My dr won't budge though! I will tell you that after a year of taking them you are not the term 'addicted', there's a difference, you are dependent. Addicted means you take them for the 'high', which I'm sure is not true. Dependent means that if you stopped taking them your body would react with withdrawal. So if you ever go off make sure your dr tapers you down slowly to avoid the misery of this. That's what they are supposed to do, not just cut you off. I know I didn't help with your question but I hope I helped someway somehow? And good luck with your back, I know how difficult life is after this happens.

Source(s): Personal experience.