Android, Allow mock locations?

In my Droid settings, under "Development" (app development), there is a box I can either check or uncheck and next to the box is "allow mock locations"... would someone please explain in short what this option is for or what it does and how I may benefit from using it?

Thx

• R T
    Favorite Answer

Many Android apps use the phone's location. If you are writing (developing) your own app and testing it, you likely would like to try different locations to test that your app works as expected. This option allows you to feed your apps different location information without actually traveling to that location.

If you don't test apps, then it's not really all that useful to you.

Source(s): ///

This is what developers use to fake a location. Its purely for development purposes. That's why it is in Development.

Most people use it with emulators while developing an app or ROM for the phone. It won't do anything in normal use.