Is Elizabeth the Shrew?

I am writing a paper and my topic is, "Is Queen Elizabeth a shrew?" This topic is also relating to Katherine from Shakespeare's play, "The Taming of the Shrew" I guess my teacher wants me to go by Katherine's characteristics since she is the shrew... Please help! I need to complete the paper by monday November 26!

Best Answer

Not at all, dear girl! One shall have you know that Her Majesty is far from being a shrew! One may be inclined to say that her erstwhile daughters-in-law may have exhibited shrewish tendencies. If you don't mind me saying, one finds this question bordering on treasonous.

Liz is the better shrew, between the large actresses of all time. 10 issues I Hate about You is an finished be counted altogether, and in my view is fantastically exciting for what it truly is.... a young person movie.

• Hannah

No...

Elizabeth I did have a fearsome temper, and she could shout, throw things etc, and sometimes she boxed the ears of her ladies in waiting. It is not impossible that Shakespeare had heard about these things and used some of them in his portrayal of Katherine. However, like most of his plays, it is based on an old story, the shrew taming theme was not a new one.

• Ann

If you're referring to Elizabeth I, I think here were some pretty obvious comments about her behaviors that indicated she could be very vicious when she wanted to be. That may be why she was referred to as "The Virgin Queen". No one would get very close to her, because they were leery of her.

Source(s): history books

No.

Actually, the story was stolen from a short story by a Spanish writer of the 15th Century, named Arcipreste de la Hita.

You can look it up. The similarities are quite evident.

You really do need to be more clear! I thought for one awful moment that you were referring to Queen Elizabeth II, and couldn't for the life of me think why anyone would pose such a question about her! But of course it must be Good Queen Bess (Elizabeth I) who is meant.

I'm in agreement with an earlier contributor in that case - like Katherine, Elizabeth was resistant to the idea of marriage and got very tetchy with her ministers when they suggested that she should find a husband. She would stamp her feet and yell about being 'no man's mistress!', and many of her courtiers were absolutely terrified of her!

'The Taming of the Shrew' is one of my favourite plays; I hope you're enjoying it too!

You didn't really convince me about this being the topic of a paper, but yes I could find arguments that William Shakespeare was probably inspired by the legendary resistance of his beloved Queen in finding a husband...