gas leaks when Im filling up?

The other day I noticed that there was a puddle of gasoline under my car after I put gas in. A couple hours later I checked to see if there was a leak or a puddle and there wasnt. So the next time I put gas in I kneeled down and noticed that where the gas is going in a steady drip/run of gasoline comes out onto the ground. So again I check at home to see if there was a leak or drip or puddle and there wasnt. So its obviously something to do with the piping when filling. Any thoughts or price estimates would be greatly appreciated. Its a 97 Infinity i30 with over 200k miles on it.

Ya its the filler tube, it leaks up high, probably where the gas is going in. Im not mechanical so I cant really take it off myself. I watched a couple youtube videos on how to take them off..more or less. Thanks for your help

Favorite Answer

If this were my car and I had this problem, I would go to my local junkyard and pick up a replacement filler tube. I prefer to go to the self serve junkyards because you save a ton of money and you get to practice taking the part off from their car before getting home and working on yours. So if you accidentally break something in the process, you're not costing yourself any extra money or headaches, and you know what to be careful of on your own car. It works out pretty well. I know that at my local yard of choice, I can get a filler tube for $10-$15 out the door. The fixes that the other poster mentioned will probably run you $5-$10 bucks anyways, plus the repair might not work or if it does, it might not work for long. With the price of gas being as high as it is, I would want to fix this right the first time. The money you save by not dripping gas on the ground will pay you back for a new filler tube in no time!

Source(s): I have been repairing cars for many years.

so, you're saying the filler tube has a hole in it? probably rusted out on a 200k car.. and new tank will cost you $150-$200 and allow for 2 hours labor to fit it. if you can pinpoint the hole, I'd use a rubber hose, split it to put it on the filler tube then put two hose clamps to hold it in place..or, autoparts stores sell gas tank repair which is like an expoxy in a tube you can put on there