What keeps me from just cutting down my mossberg 500 myself?

Other than prison i mean.

I want a 6 shot mossberg 500, ($225.00-$300.00). But to make the barrel flush mount to the magazine tube, I'd have to pay for a $200.00 tax stamp. This equates to spending $100.00 per inch of barrel I want removed!!! Now if it's just a matter of putting a pistol grip on it to qualify for the $5 stamp than I'm all for it!

Ultimately I'd like a 12ga. mossberg 500 6 shot with flush mount barrel and mag tube and shoulder stock option, but I don't want to go to the poor house or wind up in the jail house.

How can I do it?

8 Answers

  • Keoni
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    As long as your barrel is 18" or more and the overall length is 26" or more, you're more than welcome to do it yourself.

    Anything less and you're in violation of federal law.

    Source(s): NRA Life Member Since 1986 Certified Pistol Instructor
  • Mr.357
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    I would roll up some paper to make a tube, glue or tape it to the magazine cap, spray paint it black, and trim it to match up with the end of the barrel.

  • Pazuzu
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

    Cutting two inches off of the barrel is not worth the $200 plus the work, not to mention having the ATF up your as$ for who knows how long.

    A shotgun with a pistol grip only, no stock. You won't be able to shoot it well. People say, "Naww, I can shoot it just as well as if it had a stock on it.", and they can't.

  • 8 years ago

    I think you are lost.

    I say this - because - you really should go visit a decent Class 3 dealer and look at some of the AOW shotugns they factory make today that sound exactly what you want - and you dont have to butcher a shotgun to do it. There are some very sweet pump's with special foregrips, pistol grips, 10" barrels that would fit what you want, factory made, all balanced, and ready to go. These are all made with small parts to fit a pistol sized shotgun - instead of just standad longer shotgun parts. They typically only fire 2 3/4 shells to take advantage of the lighter barrels and add capacity to the tube mag. These nicer little shotguns will cost you $575-$700 plus the $5 or $200 tax stamp depending on the version.

    Check them out. You will be pleasantly surprised.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

    Get a tax stamp to be legal.

  • 8 years ago

    Common sense and a good saw?

  • ?
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

    Keep the barrel at 18.5" and the overall length at 26" and you'll be legal. Or just pay a gunsmith and they maybe able to modify it to be legal but to what you want.

  • 8 years ago

    Pay for it, do everything legal or you risk losing not just your shotgun but all your guns and the right to buy/own more. Not to mention either you cant just slap the gun in a vice and hack off the barrel, trust me its not that simple and youll end up paying another 100$+ to get a new barrel just to pay again to have it cut down

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.