Diane asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

Can I, being a renter, get a cat?

I live in a small apartment building without a lease. Since I moved here, there's been a verbal rule that no pets are allowed except for birds or fish. However, a stray cat showed up here a few months ago. Our building manager, who lives on-site, is aware that another tenant has been letting the cat into his apartment to keep him company and feed him.

My neighbor lets the cat out to go to the bathroom and run around. I objected, telling him that since winter is coming, he needs to keep him inside and get a litter box. He refused, saying the cat shouldn't be cooped up indoors and can take care of himself. I disagree.

I'd like to take the cat in, but cannot afford to be kicked out. I don't know of anyone else who can take him. Since everyone here seems to be aware that my neighbor has the cat and he has not been threatened with eviction, can I take him in on a permanent basis?

There's no lease, so there's nothing in writing that forbids pets. Please advise. Thanks!

• J C
    Favorite Answer

There is also nothing in writing that allows pets, either. The verbal rule would stand in court. You need permission - in writing. It would be terribly unfair to the cat for you to take it in, get caught, then have to take it to a shelter or get evicted.

Source(s): many years of cat rescue

if the cat is used to being outside, but is being fed regular then leave it alone, your neighbour is feeding it so it will be ok, if you take it in and it wants to go outside and you won't let it, you will make this cat one very unhappy cat,

ask your landlord if you can have a cat, tell them it will be a indoor cat and go and get a rescued cat that is used to being indoors

I'd say, yes. As a student in Canada, I eventually realized that landlords seem to see cats as "somewhere in between a dog and a pot plant". So, quite inoffensive, and possibly a kind of "inofficial pet". Fine to have, nobody will object, as long as you replace any frazzled couches if they were part of the deal.

• Beth F

We don't know what your landlord will do. Just ask him.