Can I lie on my resume and get away with it, I just want a job in retail, can i lie about my experience?

An say I worked some store, bc I really need a part time job, my cousin did it and got away with it, do employers even check for this experience anyway or call your references or is it even shown in a background check?

• wizjp
    Favorite Answer

You might; but if you don't you are well and truly screwed. In a bad economy, they are pretty much checking everyone.

Dzcsdv

• Fred S

What you can get away with isn't worth it, and what's worth it you can't get away with.

For entry level (minimum wage) jobs, you will probably get away with lying on your resume. But you won't when you try to get a better job. This is where your lying will come back to haunt you. So as long as you're happy working for McDonald's for the rest of your life, go ahead and lie.

If you aspire to something better, tell the truth.

Yes, they check.

You could, but it will be obvious when you start work that you've no idea what you're doing.

• Murzy

you might want to list a store that is currently out of business so the background will not be able to be verified

Most stores dont check with your previous employers they just look at your education level or if you even have any experience similiar to what they do and how you present yourself

you can put it on your resume *** to you have "under the table" experience in a particular job

Source(s): I did the under table excuse now im manager in a italian style restaurant :)
  • Rick B

Retail is an entry level job. Why risk lying???

Some employers will check some wont. Why can't you have a fake reference they can call ? I think you can tell a few white lies to get ahead we all need a break. Just don't go overboard otherwise they may expect you to be able to do things you can't.

Be honest. You will feel better about yourself. Also, other people will then feel that they can trust you. Additionally, it is better to be honest about your actual experience and education, then the employer knows better where to place you and what training you need.