What is good target and hunting ammo for a .45 acp?

Im gonna be getting some .45 acp ammo today. I would like to know what would be a good target round and a good hunting round. Not actually going to hunt with it but just in case i run up on some pigs, i just need something with good penetration

Favorite Answer

* For Target practice use the 230 grain Winchester or Remington hard ball ammo.* For Hunting use the 230 grain jacketed hollow points.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*................Fly like an Eagle.*~~

My favorites are Federal and Winchester 230gr fmj. For defense, I like using the same.

I recently got in my local area 500 rounds of Federal for about 200 bucks.

• Mr.357

FMJ is great for target shooting. WWB works well. If you really want good penetration, FMJ is hard to beat. The other stuff expands and dumps its energy into the target before the bullet can travel very far. I would not be planning on using a .45 ACP on hogs unless you are hunting them with a rifle and are using the .45 ACP for protection from hogs. For protection from hogs, if you can shoot decently, you should use some heavy expanding bullets, because the hog will be charging you and a good expanding bullet into the head will put them down. I would still rather have something more powerful like a .357 Mag than a .45 ACP.

I like the bulk ammo from cheaper than dirt. But is all preference to the shooter

Source(s): Shooting
  • WC

For target I use the cheapest FMJ 230 gr. round nose.