Why do we humans need sleep i mean its a waste of time?

C'mon you people need to agreed with me. Just imagine what you would do with that extra time!

In our living time1/3 of our life we spend it sleeping! Boring!

• Joppa
    Favorite Answer

show us how its done. Talk is cheap.

Sleep is one of the basic needs of man. Sleep is needed for man to physiologically function well. Having a great contribution for the brain’s development, sleep is essential in maintaining normal functions of the body.

More here: http://www.knowswhy.com/why-do-humans-need-sleep/

• ppe

you got it man pop that pills and keep on going

Why don't you try it out and get back with us, let us know how it worked for you. You can call from the loony bin after you have been admitted for being sleep deprived.

If you learn to meditate and do pranayama - breathing you will enjoy your sleep time much more. We need to sleep to reconnect with the spirit world much information is sorted and accessed during sleep it is a time of renewal for our spirits and for our bodies. Problems can be solved during sleep also. Just go to sleep with a problem on your mind knowing you will wake up with the solution, try it. Sleep is one of my favorite things. I know I went for 3 months without hardly ever being able to sleep everyone else goes to sleep at least I had trash cans full of old papers I went through every night that kept me busy. And when you can't sleep it becomes one of the most treasured things you seek in life. You can though if you want get by very well on just 4 hours of sleep a night the key is to go to sleep at the same time every night and get up at the same time in the morning.

it's a physiological necessity, you dolt.

• ??????

No respite from this world - that would be a nightmare. Sleep is a blessing.

• Some people have never slept. Al Herpin would never sleep, he would just read the newspaper until he felt awake again. He lived for 94 years. Or technically he "lived" for 141 years if he didn't spend 8 hours a day asleep, which is virtually the same as being dead for 8 hours.

• Because no matter what...Your body will tell you IF you have to fall asleep.

Even if you don't want to.

I may agree w/ you, I, myself don't want to sleep...I enjoy the moments in the deepest darkest hours of the night. I tell you, I am awake til 3 or 4am in the morning almost everyday, or at times I could stay awake most of the time.

Then after napping a couple of hours...I am done!

That I see to it I've been getting enough care for the skin, and the health. I could nap rarely at daytime..but as I said the body itself will give me the signs, when needed.

Have nice times..!!

Every living sentient being needs sleep in order to survive. It's just the way our brains and bodies have evolved. We use energy and we need to constantly keep replemishing it. Sleep is the best way to do this mentally and physically. I agree that we would accomplish so much more as a species if we didn't need sleep. We would probably be thousand of years ahead of ourselves now.

If there is an alien species which doesn't require sleep and they have been around before even us just imagine how much they will have achieved.

Some scientific reason for why we need sleep.

Although it may be less apparent to people living in societies in which food sources are plentiful, one of the strongest factors in natural selection is competition for and effective utilization of energy resources. The energy conservation theory suggests that the primary function of sleep is to reduce an individual’s energy demand and expenditure during part of the day or night, especially at times when it is least efficient to search for food.

Research has shown that energy metabolism is significantly reduced during sleep (by as much as 10 percent in humans and even more in other species). For example, both body temperature and caloric demand decrease during sleep, as compared to wakefulness. Such evidence supports the proposition that one of the primary functions of sleep is to help organisms conserve their energy resources. Many scientists consider this theory to be related to, and part of, the inactivity theory.

Restorative Theories

Another explanation for why we sleep is based on the long-held belief that sleep in some way serves to "restore" what is lost in the body while we are awake. Sleep provides an opportunity for the body to repair and rejuvenate itself. In recent years, these ideas have gained support from empirical evidence collected in human and animal studies. The most striking of these is that animals deprived entirely of sleep lose all immune function and die in just a matter of weeks. This is further supported by findings that many of the major restorative functions in the body like muscle growth, tissue repair, protein synthesis, and growth hormone release occur mostly, or in some cases only, during sleep.

How old are you? Ten?

Without sleep we would die, LITERALLY DIE. After a whole day working, with out brain or with our bodies, we need to relax our body and refuel. What happens when you use something nonstop? It breaks, if you fix it every now and then, it will be good. So humans NEED sleep.

Source(s): Me