What do Orthodox Jews base their method for keeping kosher on, no milk and meat, and such?

Like I keep kosher, but my question is where the idea of not mixing milk and meat comes from? Because the Torah doesn't say not to mix milk and meat, it says not to seethe a kid in it's mother's milk.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Why do you keep kosher if you don't also study Judaism? I'm just assuming based on the fact that you apparently can't be bothered to read books or websites on kosher.

The separation of meat and dairy was mandated by the ancient Rabbis to prevent people from accidentally violating the commandment to not cook a kid in its mother's milk. To prevent the accidental breaking of a commandment is the reason behind a LOT of halakhah.

Here, I'll help you out:

http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm#Separation

and

http://www.jewfaq.org/halakhah.htm

• contee
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

ok, how approximately if somebody Jewish solutions this query? you have asked an extremely life like one and, on the outdoors, it would not make experience, does it? notwithstanding, the clarification is that there is a theory in Judaism talked approximately as "construction a fence around the Torah". meaning that the uncomplicated regulation of "no longer seething a calf in its mom's milk" became into prolonged first to the prohibition of eating any purple meat with any milk product jointly--purely to make valuable that the uncomplicated regulation became into no longer transgressed. This prohibition became into extra prolonged to fowl as an "extra shelter" no longer purely so as that individuals might purely get interior the habit of no longer eating animal meat with dairy products--and so by no potential even could desire to rigidity approximately it--yet in addition so as which you won't provide the visual attraction of doing so which you would be able to desire to somebody who may be looking at you. Separate plates are a extra occasion of this--besides the actuality that i'm Reform we shop separate plates yet do them interior the comparable dishwasher. lower back, the assumption is to make all of it yet impossible to transgress the uncomplicated commandment interior the Torah, and to make it so hard which you do no longer could desire to pass around aggravating regardless of if or no longer you have transgressed.

• 8 years ago

All the rules come from the torah- written AND oral. the fcat that you do not know the orla Torah and how it teaches us to understand the written Torah is why it is a pointless exercise for you to try and keep kosher when you are not jewish!

Lets give an example: when we kill an animal in a kosher way it has to have its throat cut with a large, sharp knife with no nicks and with a majority of the Trachea and oesophagus being cut in one motion. So, tell me, where do we find in this in the written Torah (Five books of Moses)? we don't- all the written Torah tells us is "kill it the way I told you to". Now, if you don't know the oral Torah you have a problem since nowhere in the written Torah does it tell us how to kill the animal yet it states that G-d told us how to kill the animal! For Jews there is zero issue here since we have knowledge of the Oral Torah (Mishnah) which DOES tell us how to kill the animal.

Similarly with the mixing of milk and meat. The Torah repeats the prohibtion three times- why not just give it to us once as is the norm of the written Torah, to write things in as concise language as possible. If you know the oral Torah you know that each repetition comes to teach something extra about the prohibition- from the specific in the first instance (not putting a baby animal into its mother's milk- the word used for "kid" in Hebrew is actaully a generic term for the young of the kosehr domesticated species), to prohibiting the mix of the meat of any of the species with the milk of its own species to the most general, prohibiting the mix of any milk and meat.

So the Torah does tell us not to mix milk and meat, you just need to learn further and find someone to teach you that actually knows the Torah- written AND oral

Source(s): Orthodox Jew; Reverend, Torah, Mishnah Chullin; Talmud masechta Chullin
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

The not mixing milk and meat is based on a Rabbinic interpretation of this passage from Torah:

Exodus 23:19

“Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God. “Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.

and again;

Exodus 34:26

“Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD your God. “Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

and yet again:

Deuteronomy 14:21

Do not eat anything you find already dead. You may give it to an alien living in any of your towns, and he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner. But you are a people holy to the LORD your God. Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.

Personally as a Christian I interpret this as a figurative command not to take that which was intended for a young goat's nourishment and use it to the harm of the young goat.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

its all bs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.