Is Logan's Run the future of Obamacare?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WUUnc1M0TA

Youtube thumbnail

When one turns 30, your time is up.

USA can't afford old folks any more, so something has to be done and now that we will have a "water empire" with a choke point of control over who lives and dies (for the masses, not the elite) where would one go to find Freedom?

@Kasumica: Yes, when Social Security began under FDR women's life expectancy was about 65 and most men were already dead. The system wasn't designed to pay bennies to people for 20 or 30 years, it was designed to pay for about 6 months per each.

And yes, the system needs to be redesigned. Nobody knows how to do that.

Favorite Answer

Logan's run is a great film, but I do not think that is where we are headed with Obamacare. I think the US health care system in general is in need of serious reform. One example of that could be a standardized medical coding system for health care providers and insurers. This would save time and effort in processing a claim and would help claims to be processed more efficiently.

The median age has also changed and life expectancy is much higher than it was when programs like social security and medicare were started. I believe life expectancy was 69 when these programs started and it is somewhere in the 80's due to advances in the quality of care. The system we have is outdated. I like the idea behind Obamacare, but it is trying to accomplish too many when the infrastructure to support it is not there,

• When they offer you a pill to off yourself rather that a procedure -we are there. But, wait -that's already happening in Oregon.

• L.T.M.

Touchy subject with no easy answers. And it's not only the old folks. They can now save many more 'preemies'. Here's one example (born at 25.5 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz)

http://thepreemieexperiment.blogspot.com/2010/01/s...

My daughter is a nurse and specializes in caring for the preemies with a lot of complications. The hard cases. She says it's a heartbreaking job at times but she loves it and plans on sticking with it.

• Golfer

It might be we are in the first steps of "Animal Farm"

No more than Victorian England was a model for Romneycare.

Well, America is turning into a police state but I don't think that they'll go that far.

One step closer to "Time is Money."