Atheists: I mean no disrespect but...?

.....When your loved one dies how do you truly feel? if my husband died of choose id be sad at first , but as a true Christian myself ,I feel comforted that I will get to see them again. I feel safe.

If you truly believe that when you die then that is it and the human life cycle continues, then don't you feel empty that you have lost your wife/brother/sister etc. knowing that everyone is unique and you'll never have the pleasure to be with someone exactly like that again?

I mean no disrespect to your believes, I've always been curious with this question.

Elin.

• /\
    Favorite Answer

If that belief gives you comfort,

then by all means believe.

But as a true Christian,

you have to believe in hell too.

You can't have one without the other, right?

Well, how can you be sure

none of your loved ones

won't end up there to be

tortured for all eternity for

some past sin or something?

I mean no disrespect either,

but it seems to me that that belief

wouldn't bring any comfort at all.

It would bring trepidation and fear.

I don't understand how someone

could even consider accepting

such a horrible belief..

"If you truly believe that when you die then that is it and the human life cycle continues, then don't you feel empty that you have lost your wife/brother/sister etc"

Obviously that is painful. Are you suggesting when someone you love dies, you'll be really happy that they're teleporting to heaven straight away, and you're only a few decades at most from seeing them again?

By your logic, Christians are all really happy when their loved ones die, or at the very least, not sad at all.

How do you truly feel knowing that all those that don't believe in god are going to be tortured for eternity? Is that a nice feeling?

________

"knowing that everyone is unique and you'll never have the pleasure to be with someone exactly like that again?"

So everyone who goes to heaven will be exactly like they were as a human yes? Is that 'exactly like they were at the time of death' or what?

You are aware that people can act and think differently at different points in their lives?

And what about dead babies and mentally disabled people? Are they going to remain the same in heaven?

• Les

As an atheist I would feel a sense of great loss if a loved one died, but no less or greater a sense of loss than a believer in life after death.

I would celebrate the life of the loved one and retain those fond memories of our lives together. I would not wish to hold some false hope that we would get together one day. Our lives together and our shared memories would be enough.

Did you know that everything, living and dead eventually "dies"? Mountains, oceans, moon, planets, galaxies - even solar systems eventually come to an end. What's wrong with that?

Death is a natural part of life and it holds no fear for me as an atheist. I don't want to have false hope of an afterlife. It might be nice live forever but it just ain't so.

Thank you for your very respectful question. Good luck with your search for the truth.

Of course we feel grief at the loss of a loved one. We are just like everyone else, and such loss can be emotionally devastating to us. We simply do not get to be "comforted" by a religious belief. We must instead learn to cope without such a belief and accept the loss, however painful, day by day. There is no alternative for us, no respite. No matter how much we wish that person was still alive we cannot make it so just by wishing. However the human heart/mind is usually able to heal from even such trauma as the loss of a loved one, and usually we recover, we heal, and eventually get on with living. Regardless of our beliefs I suspect that it is no different for a believer than an atheist in terms of our basic capacity for enduring such things - the real difference is just the ways we find to cope. I know that for me the loss of a loved one has always been easier to live with after I have broken down with one of my other family members. Fortunately we do not all break down at the same time and we can be strong for each other when it's our turn.

• Dahlia

Well, so far, no one close to me has died yet, so I can't really comment on that. However, I have found out some people I kinda knew, like old classmates, have died. Thinking about it is sometimes weird. I wasn't really that close to them, but knowing that I saw them once and now they are gone is strange. If someone close to me died, I would probably would feel sad/empty for a while. But I guess I've come to terms with death in general and the fact that I won't see them again.

On the other hand, how would you feel if someone close to you wasn't a christian and you thought they were going to hell? Not so comforting, right?

Overall, I actually find it more comforting that we won't have a "life" after this(much like before we were born), than I would if I believed we were going to be judged after death and possibly face eternal punishment.

Elin, I do not believe in 'life ever after' and the resurrection. I believe (and indeed sincerely hope, after a lifetime of working hard) that when we die that's it - our bodies are mere shells that cease to exist in their current form and break down into their constituent parts. It pleases me to know that my molecules will become one with the Earth again.

I do understand that many people feel the need to believe in something more, but I've never quite understood why, say, Christians are so distraught when a loved one dies - surely that person is going to God, if that is your belief. Wouldn't you be thrilled for them? (I also mean no disrespect by saying that, it's just something I cannot reconcile in my mind.)

My mother died of cancer when I was 32 and she was just 56. She was in immense pain towards the end and spent the last 3 weeks of her life in a hospice. I saw her just a few minutes after she had died and every line had disappeared from her face - she looked like a young woman again. It was at that moment that I realised that while the road to death may be dreadful and full of pain, death itself is nothing to be feared - it is simply the end. When my time comes, I shall not be afraid.

My personal belief is that when we remember people with love and kindness, they are 'in heaven'; when we think of someone who has died with bitterness and loathing, that person is 'in hell'. I hope that answers your question?

My grandmother died last March. She was 100 years old, and my last grandparent. She was the matriarch of the family and a wonderful woman. She and her husband, my grandfather, were two of the most special people in my life.

I refused to cry at the funeral, because I wanted to celebrate her life, not mourn her death. And I stand by that sentiment. But I'll tell you, these days, whenever I think of her or my grandfather, I still feel sad and empty that they're gone, and I'll never see them again.

But you know what? What's real is what's real, not what we wish to be real. The thought that I might get to see them again in some afterlife might be comforting, but it isn't *true*. You can't believe things just because you *want* them to be true. That path does not lead to the truth. People don't become atheists because they find it comforting, they choose it because their best reasoning on the subject leads them to the conclusion of atheism. They're gone and it sucks, but that's just the way it is. I had many, many happy times with them, and I'll cherish those memories always.

What I don't understand by reading your question and preambling, is why do you think that atheists don't have feelings, especially for their family members, and friends. What in the world would cause you to think in such a way? Do you really think that people in religion are better and more honest and have real feelings? How could you think in that way? I can only think that your religion has taught you to think in such ways, and you really need to rethink your ways. Believe in what you like but try to understand that all people do not accept god nor religions. I have studied religions for many years and did some of the most in depth research on christianity that has ever been done; not alone but with a partner. I surprised myself with all that I found out about christianity.

People just get caught up in a religion and they forget to question everything about it. Man made religions and god is a man made concept used to control other people. Try to learn more about religion instead of seeing people as different in feelings. Try to obtain a book titled "Piso Christ", and read it three or four times as I know it might be somewhat difficult to grasp at first. It will help you to gather your thoughts and put them in proper perspective. You can get the book at any large book store or order it through them. Getting back to when people die, atheist have a different way to understand after death, that is after one dies that life is finished and will not come back again. Heaven is not real nor is hell. Those are just two things of many used in religions to keep people in the church. So, yes, when one does that life is over and you will never see that person again. Sorry to spoil your feelings but I just wanted you to understand about feelings.

Source(s): my research and the ancient Roman writers

It does indeed sound a bit disrespectful, since you seem to experience atheists as some sort of indifferent robots or something.

We are humans, we have feelings, experiences, thoughts, relationships and all that makes one a human.

We just don't have imaginary friends to blame when sh!t happens or to thank them for other people's hard work etc.

I find it saddening and very disrespectful that you assume that just because we don't believe in God, that we are devoid of feelings when someone dies. What do you think we are, robots? Just because we don't believe in God doesn't mean we don't have feelings. I could argue that I become more emotional when someone dies because I know I'll never see them agai, bt that would be disrespectful.

You are being rude, but I understand you don't mean to. Just remember that we're all human; just because we don't all believe the same things doesn't mean we don't have feelings.