? asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 years ago

the cake i made is too soft to icing why?

Favorite Answer

Have you tried to ice it right after it comes out of the oven?? Usually you should wait till it cools down, lots. What recipe do you use? powder mix homemade? If you do homemade there might be a problem with the mix? Maybe you added too much of something. Then again if that isnt the problem then maybe your icing is too hard and you need to soften it.

Source(s): Home baker

I always use a Duncan Hines boxed cake mix unless I am making a Genoise cake from scratch. For a Genoise cake, you pretty much need a Stand Mixer to make that cake.

After removing the cake from the oven, I let it cool for about 30 minutes in the pan, then remove it from the pan and let it cool another 15 minutes at least. And finally, chill it in the fridge for an hour or so. That will firm it up and I can apply the frosting then. I have even been known to put the cake in the freezer for awhile before applying the frosting.

What about your eggs... were they large? Most recipes call for large eggs. Don't skimp on the eggs. If you did use large eggs, maybe you should add an extra egg the next time you bake a cake.

• Ree 9

Sounds like the cake was still to warm when you applied the icing. Try a Royal Icing that ALWAYS works for me .. But it takes time to make ..But not too long

• A

You either didn't let it bake enough even taking it out 3 minutes early makes a difference or didn't let it cool enough or both had the same problem today had to make another one because when I iced it the top come off and crumbs got all in the icing .