How can I have faith in a god which I don't know exists?

STAR The kind of evidence you are talking about does not prove in any way there is a god existing

ANNANATT you said this (Everyone knows that something does not come from nothing).

If you know this then you could certainly prove it correct?

Favorite Answer

That is a kind of wishful thinking. You want it to be true. You don't know if it is true. You have no evidence. You have faith.

The churches in effect teach 'blind faith' in their man-made, scripture-twisting, teachings.

No one can have *real* faith in things they are not totally sure of, due to the very definition of the word:

"Faith is the *ASSURED* expectation of things hoped for,

the *EVIDENT DEMONSTRATION* of *REALITIES* though not beheld."---Hebrews 11:1 NWT

". . . Faith is a *WELL-GROUNDED* assurance of that for which we hope . . .

a conviction of the *REALITY* of things which we do not see."---Hebrews 11:1 Weymouth NT

Do we not believe that the wind, heat & cold, and gravity all exist . . .

all while we are not able to see them with our physical eyes . . . ? Of course!

How can we believe in them, since we cannot see them?

It is because we *CAN* see --and/or feel-- the *EFFECTS* of their existence!

Well, all around us are many evidences of God's existence . . .

whether we choose to recognize them, or, not. . .

Therefore, the answer to your question is . . . by being realistic, honestly unbiased, developing the desire to learn *real* truth, and thus opening your 'eyes of understanding' to the truth about the evidences of God . . . by doing theese things, you can come to *build* a *true* faith in our Creator.

.

Source(s): "Do You See More Than Your Eyes Do?" http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102000603 "Do You Believe in What You Cannot See?" http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2000446 "Is There a Creator?" http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102006320 (SPECIAL ISSUE on this subject.)

Pray and see what happens?

I have faith in gravity and air and that they exist.

Have I physically seen either? No, Have I touched either? Nope. Have I tasted, smelled or heard either? Negative.

I have only witnessed their effects on my life and the world around me. I have seen that people fall from trees, I can feel the air when I breathe it in or smell the odors that the wind carries around. I hear when the trees rustle in the breeze. I have relied on scientists to do the actual research and believe that their experiments prove the existence of both gravity and air.

These are the same ways I believe in a God; not because I've seen him physically...I've just seen his effects on the world and my life and the lives of others.

The only proof I need to prove God, is simply by really taking a few minutes to focus on how incredibly amazing and complex the human body is. After all of my science, biology and anatomy classes, I've learned that the body is mind boggling. To think that it was created simply by chance, is a much harder concept to grasp, than believing that it was thoughtfully created.

The brain itself; a squishy blob of stuff....is responsible for our beating heart, lungs working without thinking, allowing us to see, hear, taste....controls our nerves with trillions of sensors, helps our noses smell............and how do you even begin to understand thoughts or emotions? How can you even scientifically put in a jar and study a thought or emotion?

That is all the proof I need to believe in a God who thoughtfully created everything...and because he is powerful enough to do that, I can't possibly try and put him on my same level by attempting to judge him or second guess him. I can only have faith in his promises and deep love for everyone.

Sanctifying grace.

HE DOES EXIST! and the world is full of his productions including yourself. (Psalm 104:24)

A common argument from atheists and skeptics like you is that if all things need a cause, then God must also need a cause to exist or else there is no God. Your question is a slightly more sophisticated form of the basic question “Who made God?” Everyone knows that something does not come from nothing. So, if God is a “something,” then He must have a cause, right? The question is tricky because you sneak in the false assumption that you don't know if He exists so therefore God came from somewhere and then you may wonder where that might be. The answer is that He is NOT in the category of 'CAUSE'. It is like asking, “What does blue smell like?” Blue is not in the category of things that have a scent, so the question itself is flawed. In the same way, God is not in the category of things that are created or caused, because God is the cause—and simply exists. How do we know this? We know that from nothing, nothing comes. So, if there were ever a time when there was absolutely nothing in existence, then nothing would have ever come into existence. But things do exist. Therefore, since there could never have been absolutely nothing, something had to have always been in existence. That ever-existing thing is what we call God. God is the uncaused Being that He caused everything else to come into existence. God is the uncreated Creator who created the universe and everything in it. and His personal name is Jehovah, which means~>causes to become!

Source(s): The Bible

Actually what god believers are telling you, although they don't understand this, is that you first have to self-hypnotize yourself so that your brain will malfunction and then you can believe in a god. That is actually the start of insanity. Correct, how can you believe in something that is not, does not exist. The only way is to continuously say to yourself that you believe and do this until your are delusional as believers have all done, which is partly insane then you can have a god in your head. .

Source(s): person who claim that they know god

You can only have faith when you Know and realize that there is a God, who created you and Created the the earth and everything you see around you (nature)...How can it be that we still disbelieve after having seen so many evidences?

We know that no one has ever actually seen God - at least not in this lifetime. Nor are we able to use our senses to make some kind of contact with Him. However, we are encouraged in Islam to use our senses and our common sense to recognize that all of this universe could not possibly come into existence on its own. Something had to design it all and then put it into motion. That is beyond our ability to do, yet it is something that we can understand.

We don't have to see an artist to recognize a painting, correct? So, if we see paintings without seeing artists painting them, in the same way, we can believe that God created everything without having to see Him (or touch, or hear, etc.).

He has provided more than enough evidence, and there are millions and millions who have come to know Him because they believed Him; but you have deemed to call Him a liar, so you remain in darkness to this day.

" We accept man’s testimony, but God’s testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."

I John 5:9-13

When you learn with your heart the meaning of the word repentance, you shall have your answer.

Somehow it's better to have faith in the unknown than to rely on your actual senses.