single core 64bit processor windows 7?

i have an old pc with an amd athlon 64 4000+ single core processor with 4 gigs of DDR 400 ram.

i have been using xp on it since i bought it years back and was wondering if i install windows 7 on it, will it perform better than xp being more compatible with 64 bit processors? will i have any other issues running windows 7 on DDR400 ram? also upgrading a GPU isnt really an issue for me. The Ati/amd 4xxx series arent that pricey now. im not a hardcore gamer however i do play games occasionally so having games run at ultra high graphics is not a priority for me.

what do you guys think, stick with XP, upgrade to windows 7 as is, upgrade GPU stick to XP or upgrade GPU and go with windows 7.

any and all advice is welcome.

thanks in advance

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think you should save your data (and drivers) and do a fresh install of Windows XP. XP needs that every few years.

Do an internet search for: windows 7 compatability tool.

Download it, install it, run it.

Do NOT even think of Windows 8.

Source(s): Pro PC tech
  • 4 years ago

Your processor is sixty 4-bit compatible. To be straightforward virtually each and every processor made interior the perfect 7 or 8 years has been sixty 4-bit compatible. save in suggestions though that a 32-bit operating gadget won't be able to be upgraded to sixty 4-bit so that you're going to ought to do a reinstall.

• 8 years ago

Definitely go with windows 7 or 8... Possibly upgrade gpu

Source(s): Own thoughts
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.