What would happen if I got pulled over with marijuana in the car?

I live in Florida. What would happen if I got pulled over and a cop asked to search my car? Could I legally say no? What if they found marijuana and paraphinelia? I'm in college, so what kinds of expenses are associated with this?

Favorite Answer

If they smell it, they don't need to ask, they can search. And saying them can smell it is a very easy thing to make up. That's why you shouldn't smoke it in the car because it will only make you get caught.

If they have to ask, of course you can say no, but it is very possible they might have probable cause. Note that handing them the keys, or putting the keys out for them to take, or telling them the keys are in your pocket can easily be taken as consent to take the keys to open up and search the car.

The first thing to do is know your rights, check out a site like www.flexyourrights.org to learn them and how to deal with interactions with the police regarding such matters as searches.

Again, you can always say no, if they have probable cause then they don't have to ask, they can just search.

Remember to use a line such as "I do not consent to any searches" which clearly states your refusal of the search and cannot be misconstrued. If they have cause, it doesn't matter if you refuse. And if they don't have cause and search without your consent, then you can contest the evidence from the search in court.

• ?

Whenever I have gotten pulled over I lock the car doors and only put the window down enough to talk and SLIDE my identification through, it’s never down far enough for them to put their hand in. If I’m requested to step out of my car my reply is “am I under arrest” if not I’m comfortable where I am. If they ask to search my vehicle my response is “for what reason do you want to search my car”. I almost never answer their question with any answer but another question. I am always polite.

• ?

You are legally allowed to refuse a search of your car. Police need probable cause to search your car without your permission. Their suspicion alone is not probable cause. Always refuse consent to search your car, and don't let him try to trick you into consenting, because they are allowed to use deceit and trickery. They aren't your buddy and aren't gonna let you go if you just have a small bag like they might say.

Don't know about Florida but I live in Oregon and they just take your stuff and make u take a diversion class lol

Don't keep marijuana in your car and you won't have to worry about this situation arising.