Why is witchcraft viewed as 'evil' by many?

And why do Christians believe you are cooperating with the devil if you practice witchcraft? I understand in terms of black magic and curses, but not all practice these...

Favorite Answer

The Bible is clear there are only two sources of supernatural power - the power of God, or the power of Satan.

The occult arts are clearly the work of the Kingdom of Satan:

“When you come into the land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spirits, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord, and because of these abominations the Lord your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the Lord your God. For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the Lord your God has not appointed such for you.

Deuteronomy 18:9-14

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=vid&hl=en&source=...

• ?

Originally that Christian definition was the definition of Witchcraft. And it was a myth, by the way.

There never were any ancient Goddess-worshipping Witches practicing underground; Margaret Murray's theories have been debunked for like 40 years.

There were people who practiced folk magic or shamanism and what-not but they wouldn't have identified as Witches; in fact they would have been insulted if you called them Witch because back then Witch had only negative connotations.

The modern reinvention of the word in the last 100 years or so is completely new... the idea that Witches are good or spirital or whatever is a new concept.

It's not just Christians but also the Catholics that view this. I have learned that a long time ago the Catholics use to do spells but stop for some reason. I am a Wicca and I have been for about 8 years now. Another reason is because of what I call the "Burning Times" (Salem Trails).

Also Christians and Catholics want to be the only one who thinks they are right when in reality they just don't like change.

In my eyes and what I have learned is that spells do work. We don't curse anybody since we know that Karma will get them back also black or white magic is how you see it.

• Tony R

All I know is I have never seen anything that would indicate it actually works. I have know people that swear by such things. The only problem is they never have worked. If spells actually worked things would be totally different in this world. You can't make things happen with spell.

What happens is if you do them enough, eventually something will happen that makes it looks like the spell worked. Then people only remember the times it worked and forget all the other times it did not. Also they usually do things so vague that it has a high probability to work.

LIke I will do a spell that will make my feel better. Well your chances of feeling better are 50 50, so you have a good chance that it will seem like it worked.

They are ignorant of history, originally witchcraft wasn't considered all that bad until the Salem witch trials and from then on we hear of politicians and cartoon card games practicing it which is just not true christian media always needs something to blame and they go after the pettiest things.

Christians are brought up from childhood to believe that Jesus is their Savior and that anyone who says otherwise is a blasphemer and a heretic. Therefore anyone practicing majik (outside of stage magic) is exactly that. Its not their fault, really, its all in the way they were raised. By closed minded individuals who don't know morrigan from a hole in the ground.

Many fear what they do not understand. Sadder yet they seldom ask an actual practitioner...they get bad or incorrect information for someone else that doesn't know the root of other beliefs and it spirals out of control.

i agree with the answers above me - but most of the people that say witchcraft is evil would be religion ie islam, christians etc. cause they dont believe in supernatrual things.. i duno why tho - but i think it does have to do with religions

Witchcraft violates the First Commandment.

• Nanzi

"witchcraft" was demonized by the church (and subsequently hollywood), much like paganism, pentacle, poseidon's trident, baphomet, etc, etc.