What do I need to put my 454 in my truck?

I have a 1990 Chevy K1500 Stepside with a 350/5.7L and a 700r4 tranny. This truck has 340k miles on it now and its time for a swap. I have 454 that I just got rebuilt and I would like to put in this truck. I am looking at a 4l80e tranny too. Im just wondering what else I may need. Such as will I need a different driveshaft? I have hear the 4l80e is slightly longer so the driveshaft has to be shorter. Also can I use my 3.42 gears with this tranny or do i need to put in 3.73s?

• George
    Favorite Answer

Yes the drive shaft is a slight bit longer so you will need one....its important...

Yes you can use your 3.42s with that tranny if money is an issue, but the 3.73's would be a better choice performace wise.

Most important is that You are going from a 350 to a bigger 454 engine so before doing anything you need to get exact measurements of the motor(frame)mounts to see if they will match up if not you will need to remove the frame mounts and reposition them to hold the bigger motor

• Kevin

Also need to look at maybe having to upgrade suspension radiator etc