TenFour20 asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

Cat sick with cancer acting normal?

About two weeks ago my 2.5 year old cat stopped eating and lost a lot of weight. I took him to the vet and he said the cat was jaundiced to he did blood tests and an X-ray. Nothing showed up in any of the tests. A few days later an ultrasound was done and it showed the cat has masses in a few of his organs. They gave me prednisone and told me to keep him comfortable until he was too sick and it was time to put him down. The vet said it would most likely be a few weeks. He's been on the steroids since then and he seems to be doing better. His appetite and thirst has increased (from the meds I'm sure) but his personality is back now. He's up and about and acting fine. How can this be?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I lost my 12 year old cat to cancer last year. She lived fine and happy for around 8 months with meds ofc. Its very expensive but in some rare cases it can prolong their life for a while.

I would look for 2nd opinion but its not strange that meds help so much. My cat didn't have bad and good days, she was fine for 8 months and then she wasn't and it just start getting worse from there.

I am really sorry:(

• Minni
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I guess the meds are very affective. It's the same for humans, you have your good days and your bad ones. Who knows maybe, the meds will continue to treat the symptoms and allow your cat to live comfortably.

• 8 years ago

Prednisone is used for many different indications including: asthma, COPD, CIDP, rheumatic disorders, allergic disorders, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, adrenocortical insufficiency, hypercalcemia due to cancer, thyroiditis, laryngitis, severe tuberculosis, lipid pneumonitis, multiple sclerosis, nephrotic syndrome, myasthenia gravis, and as part of a drug regimen to prevent rejection post organ transplant.[2]

Prednisone has also been used in the treatment of migraine headaches and cluster headaches and for severe aphthous ulcer. Prednisone is used as an antitumor drug.[3] Prednisone is important in the treatment of acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Non-Hodgkin lymphomas, Hodgkin's lymphoma, multiple myeloma and other hormone-sensitive tumors, in combination with other anticancer drugs.

Prednisone is also used for the treatment of the Herxheimer reaction, which is common during the treatment of syphilis, and to delay the onset of symptoms of Duchenne muscular dystrophy and also for Uveitis. The mechanism for the delay of symptoms is unknown. Because it suppresses the adrenals, it is also sometimes used in the treatment of congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Prednisone is also used to treat sarcoidosis and lupus.

This medicine will have side effect . If you worry about the cat, you can take him to another vet .

I suggest you take your going out to see the sunshine and with clear water always better . And put him in the warm place to sleep .

He will come well soon. May God bless your cat. A men !!!

http://www.hotsellingbook.com/en/product/detail.ph...

Source(s): free ebooks download http://www.hotsellingbook.com/
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

research prednisone for feline cancer via Google or ask.com and it will probably tell you. Maybe this is a temporary fix. You might also call another vet and tell them what happened and see what they have to say.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Please please study about vaccinations beforehand supplying you with cat any more desirable. definite she is having a reaction to the vaccines if it receives worse call your vet. pussycat injection web site Fibrosarcoma is one of those terminal maximum cancers on the topic of inflammation led to by technique of rabies and leukemia vaccines. recommend survival time with surgical elimination plus radiation therapy plus chemotherapy is decrease than 3 years. Amputation of a rear leg plus radiation has led to some treatments. Vaccines with adjuvant, an component protected to stimulate the immune device, were implicated as a larger possibility, despite the undeniable fact that different injectable drugs were incriminated besides. Adjuvanted vaccines were tested to bring about mutation in cellular cultures. Adjuvanted Rabies, Distemper and pussycat Leukemia vaccines were labeled as classification II cancer agents by technique of the international well being business organisation. Cats over one 3 hundred and sixty 5 days of age are certainly 89% proof against FeLV (age correct resistance) even if or not they're vaccinated or not, so annual vaccination of man or woman cats isn't mandatory.(10, 15-p5, 21-p681,23-p239) Age correct immunity is definitely better than vaccine caused immunity. (Cats contaminated at a youthful age can nevertheless incubate the disease and are available down with Leukemia for as a lot as 8+ years.) (some cats that are contaminated at a tender age can spontaneously grow to be immune and get rid of the virus. This short viremia may reason residual DNA damage and outcome in FeLV correct maximum cancers years later despite the undeniable fact that the virus has lengthy been lengthy gone.) The FIV vaccine is an “adjuvanted” vaccine. An adjuvant is an additive used with killed vaccines to strengthen their ability to stimulate the immune device. regrettably, adjuvanted vaccines were implicated in the type of certain tumors in the cat. (for more desirable assistance on vaccine-linked sarcomas click the following). Our hospital at present makes use of no adjuvanted vaccines for cats and has no favor to manage a vaccine that stimulates tumor improve even below uncommon circumstances. Vaccinated cats will attempt effective on all modern-day approaches of sorting out for the FIV virus. this suggests that is going to not be plausible to differentiate vaccinated cats from quite contaminated cats. The vaccine is marketed at preserving 80 2% of cats meaning 18% can nevertheless be contaminated. that's type of a one in 5 probability of unknowingly having an contaminated cat.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.