Anonymous
Anonymous asked in 社會與文化語言 · 8 years ago

英文句子 請問要選哪個?

Zesta Soups is a ----- owned subsidiary of Consolidated Foods.

(A)wholesome

(B)full

(C)thoroughly

(D)wholly

請問要選哪個?

Rating
    Favorite Answer

I would choose (D) ! Here is my explanation:

First, among the available choices, there are TWO groups:

(1)Adjective: (A), (B)

(2)Adverb: (C), (D)

even thought "full" can sometimes be used as an adverb. However, it is NOT very common. After all, it has its own adverb form "fully".

These choices would be followed by "owned", which is a past participle of "own" and is used as an adjective. Therefore, you would like to use an adverb to describe it (owned). That would leave you only (C) and (D) to choose from.

Usually, "thoroughly" is used for mental situation, like 'I thoroughly (fully) understand your saying". "wholly" is used for material situation, like "I own this company wholly". Hence, by the context of the sentence, I would choose (D).

remark:

when an adjective has "some" at the end, it always has

"cause" meaning in it, and it is still an adjective, like:

troublesome: causing trouble or anxiety

bothersome: causing irritation or annoyance

worrisome: causing worry or anxiety

2012-11-15 08:34:01 補充:

That is why I like "wholly macro" instead of "holy macro".

2012-11-15 10:23:02 補充:

I need make a point clear, that is, you can have two or more adjective being one of the other. However, in the question you have, "owned" is transformed from a verb, even thought it is an adjective, but it still carries the property of a verb.

2012-11-15 10:23:18 補充:

Therefore, it is better to use an adverb to describe it.

2012-11-18 23:16:25 補充:

master Dark Helmet! I would appreciate you offer your opinion to distinguish between "thoroughly" and "wholly". My saying is my understanding, if it is wrong, I would like hear from you to make correction for me. Thank you for your generous offer.

2012-11-18 23:20:57 補充:

I have tried to researched the difference between them, however, I have NOT found a good one yet. If you can shed some light on it, I would greatly appreciate.

2012-11-19 10:19:51 補充:

Your explanation makes sense logically. I like to ask you more questions (if you don't mind)to make myself understand your saying first, before I comment on your explanation.

2012-11-19 10:21:49 補充:

That is "it doesn't include values in between, and therefore is not "thorough." Does it mean, "thoroughly" is for allover the place, yet, "wholly" can be just discrete ?

Source(s): self

When offering extra information, please make sure it not only shows your eagerness to help, but that it is also helpful to the enquirer.

Giving statements like "thoroughly is used for mental situation" is potentially misleading, and impulsively irresponsible!

2012-11-19 07:52:27 補充:

"Thorough" pertains to verbs involving degrees of accuracy or detail, such as your example "understand",or :"know".

As for non-mental situations::

"I searched the (whole) house", doesn't clarify whether the search was thorough.

.

2012-11-19 08:40:34 補充:

When it comes to ownership, either you own it or you don't. The term "thorough" is not applicable to your possessions.

Mathematically speaking, a whole number is an integer (1, 2, 3,...); it doesn't include values in between, and therefore is not "thorough".

I think there is too much melon in Zesta Soups.