Lulu.K asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

How old should a child be to have a cat in the house?

I had a cat but now she's gone due to a problem with the adoption center we got her from. So now we want to get another one. I have a lot of experience with cats and have everything a cat might need from a litter box to nail clippers. And I already found a cat and contacted the owner for details, but my dad said that my younger brother (2 years old) has to grow older before we get a cat. The cat I want knows how to handle young children and my brother has lived with my other cat for a year. I want to know how old a child should be and if possible ways to convince my dad.

Adopt an adult: You don't fully understand, I talked to the owner and she said that the cat , who is 1 year old, knows how to handle young children and doesn't attack them, and my younger brother is learning not to hurt them, he tries to pet them and is constantly improving.

Favorite Answer

This is the same person who whined they couldn't get their parents to buy then a 1,000 cat from a pet store and whined even louder when no one would tell them how to make their parents get them an expensive cat.

Why should they get you another cat?

You dumped one, kept another outside claiming your bother was allergic and that your mom was worried it would scratch or bite him. You really are an irresponsible owner who does need a another cat.

You can't. You couldn't make them get you a 1,000 cat they won't get a cheap cat. You really don't need any more cats, not with you dumping them and whining for a shiny new one. Rescues own't adopt to your parents because they have a two year old.

Honestly you need to stop being such a spoiled brat and stop wanting cats since you clearly don't take care of them and your parents have made it clear they don't want any more cats.

As Ocimom has indicated it relatively is probably by using actuality that acceptable, and sluggish, introductions weren't likely accomplished or accomplished long adequate. this is not uncommon for an animal to lash out at yet another animal or guy or woman whilst confronted with a conflict and acceptable now it sounds like Sookie is amazingly uncertain of the situation. Please take the advice you have been given. Sookie is the senior cat (time sensible) of the abode and she or he probably feels that she is being replaced. She desires to be attentive to that she remains enjoyed and needed. do no longer punish her for her strikes. Console your daughter - she is probably feeling undesirable related to the project and desires an evidence on what is going on and maximum necessary - she isn't at fault for any of this. After a while introduce the kitten and Sookie slowly and supervise them. over the years they're going to probably adjust to one yet another and become acquaintances. This purely desires a while. good luck! Edit - I purely observed your replace. isolating them is something that desires to be accomplished. My advice is this - purely putting them mutually will no longer artwork nicely based on your description of Sooki's action so which you may discover a thank you to artwork with the aid of this. possibly get a extensive cat service or canines cage and positioned the kitten in there and enable loose for short classes of time with Sooki in yet another room. At different circumstances shop the two cats mutually interior the comparable room yet with the cage conserving them from one yet another. That way your cat can get used to the kitten without harm and you kitten can get used to Sooki - additionally no harm.

• Beth F

There is no defiant age that a child should get a pet. I had my cat before my child was born so she has never not had a cat. But it really depends on what the patents are comfortable with. Since your brother has lived with cats before, I'm guessing that his age has little to nothing to do with why your parents don't want a cat. More than likely they are reluctant to commit to the additional responsibility of another pet right now. It could be financial or just a desire to not have one right now. Your just going to have to respect that for now. Hopefully in a year or so they will have a change of heart.

Shelters and most breeders won't adopt/sell a kitten/cat to you until your child is at least five years old and only after meeting the child so they can see it's mature enough to realize it should be respected. Babies and young toddlers are not intelligent enough to know when they're hurting an animal and can easily injure or even kill a kitten. And with adult cats the reaction back will be sharp claws right across the face since the child is small enough to reach.

Well considering the fact ur baby brother lived with a cat be4 I don't think th<at's a huge problem, but then again, new cats need some time to adjust at new environment.... so you should probably wait a little bit, your parents know the best, lol :)

Its a trick question. no age is appropriate to own a cat. cats are arrogant snobby creatures with a.lack of sence to true self worth. they are a nuissance and annoyance and no child should be subject to a cat at any age.

My 6 year old does wonderful with her kitten under my constant supervision. I would not get one with a child any younger then that in the house.