? asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 8 years ago

Insecticide smell in my apartment 3 days after spraying?

I'm about to move into a new apartment. A week before I was supposed to move in, my landlord told me they discovered a very mild carpet beetle infestation in the unit. So they have an Orkin exterminator come and he apparently sprayed Gentrol and Temprid around the inside of the unit, particularly along the baseboards.

The exterminator said it would be safe after a few hours of ventilation, but it's been 3 days and I can still smell the pesticide smell - it's not super intense of a smell, but definitely noticeable. My eyes seem to get a little bit itchy and watery when i spend time in there, too. I've had the windows open with fans on for the entire time, though the windows are not particularly large.

They sprayed on Monday morning. Now it's wednesday late night. I'm supposed to move in on Saturday morning, and they are supposed come back next Monday to follow up and potentially spray more.

I'm nervous that if I move in there, I'm gonna be subject to breathing in toxic fumes, even if they were from 3 days ago, even if they said it was safe a long time ago. And I'm nervous that if all my stuff (clothes, furniture, etc) is there it's gonna smell like insecticides (even though they said it would be okay).

Any advice? Am I just being overcautious? Or is there really something wrong here?

Thanks!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • FaScEs
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Burn some toast until the smell is eradicated.

  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

    You can never be overly cautious when it comes to your own health. The land lord and pesticide sprayer don't care about your well being like you do. He sprays toxic pesticides for a living for crying out loud. If you can smell it the residue is still there. If your eyes are itching then you definitely got a problem. Honestly I would rather deal with the bugs. They don't give me cancer. Stay out till the coast is clear.

  • 8 years ago

    Believe who you want. The professional said it was safe after "a few hours".

    I think you're overly cautious. It's a smell, not the vapor

  • 8 years ago

    i don't have advice, but i can smell the insecticide spray for about a week, even with good ventilation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.