Hawaiians: Does "mean" mean "cool"?

I've been listening to a lot of island music and on youtube, all the "islanders" commented "that's mean!" or mean something. And at first I was confused, because all the guys were doing was singing amazing. So does "mean" mean cool? or awesome? good? like rad? i don't know lol

Best Answer

You actually have to listen to the way the word is said.

If "mean" is said in a tone the same way an astonished person would say it, it could mean awesome, cool, amazing, something awe-inspiring, etc. Example, "Whoa, that chick is mean. If you no like get her numbah, I going get 'um." Translation, "Wow, that girl is amazingly hot. If you won't ask her for her phone number, I will.

If "mean" is said in an irritated or angry tone, it probably means irritable, angry, strict, etc. Example, "Ho brah, Mistah Cruz is mean. I gotta stay aftah class today just 'cuz you no like shuddup. Translation, "Man, Mr. Cruz is strict. I got detention because you kept talking and he thought it was me."

Source(s): I live in Hawaii
  • Laulea

Yes "mean" does mean "cool" or "rad"

Source(s): I'm Hawaiian
  • Bunbun

No, it means like narly.

If You understand better in music then you can done well Hawaiians better

I would say so. It's like saying "that's sick!" Which means "that's cool". :)

basically.

it is pigeon talk.

like some people will say "ho that girl is mean.." it can differentiate in the meaning in this way they are claiming she is hot.

or something like. this food is mean.. meaning it's good.

Source(s): i live in Hawaii but not hawaiian after awhile you get used to it lots of people talk like that here
  • Swoope

Yes it does. Like "Man that was a mean track", it's just approval of something. I'm not Hawaiian but most Pacific Islanders say it

Pl. make it clear.

Hawaiians: Does "cool" cool "cool"?

I don't understand the question

Does Cool Cool Cool?