What does John 12:49-50 and John 17:8 mean?

49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak. John 12:49-50 (KJV)

8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

John 17:8 (KJV)

.

what were the words that the Father gave to Jesus, was every words that Jesus spoke given to him by the Father?

Was the only New Commandment Jesus spoke also given to him by the Father?

Were the words "Lazarus come forth" given to Jesus by the Father?

Where the words "but I say unto you" given to Jesus by the Father?

.

Favorite Answer

In John 12: 49 & 50 Jesus is telling his apostles that the words that he speaks are not his own, but come from his Father, God.

Also verified in John 8:28 when speaking the group that wanted to kill him. "Therefore Jesus said: “When once YOU have lifted up the Son of man, then YOU will know that I am [he], and that I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things."

John 17:8 If you start at verse 1, you will see that he is praying to his Father. Verse 6 through 8, he is explaining that the twelve apostles that God gave him (Jesus gave credit to his Father for everything he received) that what God had taught Jesus was able to teach the twelve and they knew that Jesus was sent from God as his representative. During most of the gospels Jesus always said he did the will of He who sent me, never taking credit for his own initiative.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): New World Translation, Insight on the scriptures

As I understand this, Jesus does everything that pleases His father, glorifies His father.

It's just not like we are where we are separate, DIFFERENT from, and INDEPENDENT.

Jesus and the Father were ONE. Then we hear Jesus, we hear the Father.

It would be the teachings that came from the Father. Jesus learned from His Father.

I think of the image that Jesus gave that the man was the head of the woman,

then Jesus was the head of the man, and then the Father was the head of Jesus.

To me, that's a connection, and definitely a position of authority, but Jesus

'came out from' the Father, and thus was the same as the Father.

A son will learn from His father.

We notice also that Jesus is explaining that He is not speaking about Himself.

To me, it would not be the details, but the principles, the spirit of the law,

the ideology of this. 'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart....'

...it would be the premises.

Jesus also DID speak about Himself, so it is not those verses.

It is all the verses about what life everlasting is, and everything to do with that.

The Bible reveals that Jesus is the Living Word of God; so He spoke the Words of God while on earth. John 17:3; "This is life eternal, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent."

When people get the true revelation that Christ was sent from God and was Himself God in the flesh, they will treasure His Words and realize that His Life, Words, & Sacrifice will lead them to eternal life, and a home in heaven with the Trinity forever.

• Moi

try these

Jhn 12:49 I don't speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it.

Jhn 12:50 And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say."

John 17:8 (in context).....

Jhn 17:6 "I have revealed you to the ones you gave me from this world. They were always yours. You gave them to me, and they have kept your word.

Jhn 17:7 Now they know that everything I have is a gift from you,

Jhn 17:8 for I have passed on to them the message you gave me. They accepted it and know that I came from you, and they believe you sent me.

Jhn 17:9 "My prayer is not for the world, but for those you have given me, because they belong to you.