Who was the first in the Chicago style of blues?

I heard Big Bill Broonzy?

Favorite Answer

I do not have a complete chronology in mind, but I think Big Bill was preceded by Tampa Red (the "guitar wizard"), Georgia Tom Dorsey, and vocalists like Frankie "Half Pint" Jaxon. They were all inspired by the "hokum" vein, an upbeat type of blues with double-entendre lyrics and repetitive choruses (the model of the genre being "Tight Like That"), and the first recorded examples of this style were by the famous Papa Charlie Jackson, who was also the first black male blues vocalist on record (1924), and the one Big Bill referred to as his mentor.

The early Chicago blues scene must have been a complex one, with no significant difference between blues and jazz. Charlie Jackson, but also the outsdanding fingerpicking guitarist Blind Blake, happened to play with jazz musicians or bands - Blind blake was nearly as popular as Blind Lemon Jefferson, who was from Texas but made all his records in Chicago. Some interesting examples of primitive-sounding blues singers are Papa Freddie Spruell and Charlie "Dad" Nelson who were, in fact, Chicago residents in the early 1920's.

Who was the first to play rock'n'roll?

Who was the first to play rock?

Who was the first to play punk rock?

etc.

Labels are devised after the event. Looking back, it's often possible to identify forerunners. But a style only develops when several musicians are learning from and challenging each other. I can think of half-dozen examples in classical music alone - both of people who foreshadowed a style, and of others whose ideas were stylistic dead-ends. Calling someone "first" is meaningless.

Good question. I have no clue.

Go Bears.