Should I Double Major in Marketing and Graphic Design?

So I am a freshman at Rutgers University currently majoring in Marketing. Since I'm technically a general undergraduate student right now, I have to get the required classes out of the way by the end of the Fall 2013 semester. Once that is done, I will be able to officially declare my major. However, I am... show more So I am a freshman at Rutgers University currently majoring in Marketing. Since I'm technically a general undergraduate student right now, I have to get the required classes out of the way by the end of the Fall 2013 semester. Once that is done, I will be able to officially declare my major.

However, I am kind of... what's the word... lost? I would like to get my MBA because I can get it in 5 years at Rutgers and a bachelors in Marketing isn't good enough, as many people have told me. I do realize that even an MBA isn't worth much these days as well. Anyway, I would like to know if this is reasonable. I would like to get my MBA in Marketing and a B.A. in Visual Arts (specifically Graphic Design).

I originally wanted to go to school for art, but I realized the whole starving artist thing wasn't the best option. And while an art degree and MBA aren't the most helpful in today's economy, it's a step up, right? Haha.

Anyways, I'm still not sure if the Rutgers name carries any weight. It's no Ivy by any means. But I will get a decent education and literally no debt or loans (thank god for in state tuition).

So my goal is to work in advertising. I want to start out making the ads themselves, and eventually when I have more experience I can become an art/creative/or marketing director. Now I know that my lofty, naive goals seem like wishful thinking, but I'm happy to try. I just want to know if you have any experience in the field and if my educational route is the one I want to take to accomplish my goal. What do you think?

And please elaborate. I don't want any, "You're screwed," answers. Explain it to me if you can.
Thank you very much! :)
1 answer 1