which SDS cordless drill kit should i get for home on projects?

This is a gift for someone who will most likely be using this to renovate part of his home, which means he has to drill into concrete, wood and medal.

• XTX
    Best Answer

===since you are asking ""which"" it would be best to go to SEARS and chat with the tool sales person == those people know all brands and can advise you well -- one of the good things about shopping at Sears is their unquestioned return policy and the warranties are excellent ... it could be that the coedless drill motor sounds COOL when in fact the corded tools will keep on working without having to be recharger and a corded tool has more power == talk to the Sears dude ,, good advice ...

Nothing pleases a tool owner than making the wise choice and buying quality the first time, rather than making return trips to buy a replacement tool.

I've owned just about every brand of hand power tool, and I use them frequently and moderately hard.

Milwaukee is my choice.

Their 18Vdc model has 2 batteries which charge in about 20 minutes; a half-inch chuck (which accepts most larger tool bits as opposed to the wimpy 3/8 chuck); a sure grip keyless chuck; and excellent torque across the spectrum.

Pricey, yes, but you only pay for quality once.

Impact (masonry work) $270 http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...

or regular ($160); http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-hv67dZbwo5a/R-2020...

Note that if you have a pawn shop nearby, sometimes they have a decent collection of gently used powertools at considerable savings.

I have a 24 volt Dewalt hammer drill that uses SDS plus drill bits. It's a medium duty drill that will easily drill 3/4" holes in concrete. Any larger than that will tax it considerably. Milwaukee (and others) make a 36 volt drill that can handle heavier jobs. I like my Dewalt although replacement batteries are very expensive, but they all are expensive.

• y

Over twenty years in the trades and I prefer Dewalt. I know many that hate them and prefer their brands. It really does come down to the users particulate taste and use as far as the name brands. If i was looking for strictly residential use, i would with sears. User manuals and parts are extremely easy to get so you can repair your own tools instead of replacing them.