lens for family portraits?

i currently own a d3000 and a 50mm 1.4 and 18-55mm lens. I am renting the body and lens online so i can have a better idea of how it`s going to work . if i like it i will be purchasing it in the future. But back to the family...i will be photographing outdoors near a lot of flowers and greenery. There are 4 people. What lens and body do you recommend?

Update:

i forgot to mention..i have all nikon things

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

With the 50mm it will be difficult to do an entire group unless you can stand really far away, but it will be perfect for individual portraits and head shots.

Your d3000 has a cropped sensor so the 50mm will be equivalent to about 75mm (with it's 1.5x conversion factor) - which makes it ideal for individual portraits.

You'll need something wider if you want the whole group in the picture. The 18-55mm will be absolutely fine for group shots. You won't need a really fast lens for group shots either - there's no point, because if you set it wide open, then you will end up with a very shallow depth of field, and there will be focussing problems.

So you already have everything you need.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

18-55mm with the lens set at 55mm...reason is lens distortion any nearer the wide angle causes peoples noses and faces to look out of proportion ie fatter.

Source(s): pro photographer
  • 8 years ago

If it's to be a group shot, how about 50 / 1.5 = 35 mm lens Fixed focal length.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.