How much should I charge my clients for prints of their photos?

Hello All!

So I'm a senior in high school and did a big senior project all about photography and had a few people that I did some *free* (keep that in mind) photo shoots of over the past few months and I have some clients saying that they would like some prints and one thing I said was that the session would be free but prints would be an extra charge (because of supplies and stuff, they'd also be paying for the rights.)

How much should I charge per size (4x6, 5x7 and 8x10) and where would be best to get them printed and what is THEIR pricing like? (Costco, WalMart, etc) Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

Take the price you pay for the prints, plus your overhead(gas, etc...), and add a wage for yourself either hourly or per print, probably around $10-$15 per hour of work you do because they are schoolmates and you don't want to overcharge them.

There is a local place I use near me that prints very high quality photos for really affordable prices. I know they ship anywhere in the country, too, so maybe they'll work for you as well.

Anyway, they always tell me to sell my prints for anywhere from 2 times to 4 times what I pay for them.

I pay $1.50 for a 4x6 print, so according to their scheme, I should charge anywhere from $3 - $6 to my customers. 8x10s are $5.00, so I should charge anywhere from $10 - $20. From what I can tell, this pricing structure seems to work well, and I feel good about the profit I make on my work.

Hope this helps you figure out your situation. Just in case you were curious, the place that I use that suggested this strategy is called Faville Photo.

Absolutely. What you are talking about is image licensing. Licences are negotiated for very specific uses and duration. If a client asks me for portraits for a website, then I give them a price along with a licensing agreement that specifically states the number of images, the website, and the duration of use on the website. As to your additional details: Whether the person is famous or not, does not effect what they are being charged. If someone paid me for a portrait session, bought prints, and then sold or gave them to a magazine to be published, it is absolutely copyright infringement. Just because they paid for a portrait session, does not give them unlimited rights to redistribute the photos. Also, no magazine would publish the photos without first getting the consent of the photographer.

Per print you can charge them 5usd for a 4R and 10usd for 8r. The cheaper the printing the better, many will come to you and order their prints. Check out online printing services they are much cheaper.