Glen
Glen asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

In your opinion what is the definition of "terrorism"? Where do you draw the line?

as to what is, and what isn't terrorism? Why is it such a big deal about whether acts of violence are or aren't terrorism?

Favorite Answer

Official United States Government Definition of Terrorism

"[An] act of terrorism, means any activity that (A) involves a violent act or an act dangerous to human life that is a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State; and (B) appears to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by assassination or kidnapping."

http://westgatehouse.com/art98.html

The UN refuses to define it. They refuse to draw the line.

The Fort Hood killing was considered workplace violence even though the man who shot all those people was known to conspire with other known terrorists. The only difference I can see is that his victims were less random than in a normal terrorist attack. The survivors and families of the victims are suing the federal government over this and want it to be declared an act of terrorism. They get better benefits and purple hearts if it is. Their loved ones would be memorialized in a more fitting light.

I have a good friend whose analysis of terrorism struck me and and I will relate to you what he said one time when we were with a group of people at lunch. It's true.

Terrorism isn't just the official act of making mayhem and killing people, it is also when people are "terrorized". For example, after 9/11, many people have a fear of flying. I know I have had great apprehension when I am going on a trip and truly have to rationalize if this will be the last time I see my family, friends and home and if a trip is worth putting it all at risk.

We are terrorized when people go into a public building and are checked, cell phones (which can trigger explosives) are taken, a simple pocket knife used for a handy thing and not a weapon is confiscated, then you are taking your shoes off and the TSA is frisking you... all that is part of the package.

We are terrorized when the thought of danger crosses our minds if we see a group of people in middle eastern clothing gathered together. I'm being honest here, they scare me now and I am not a fan of anyone if they wear those outfits, period. I think of Juan Williams who is now employed at FOX news who honestly answered a question on the air, that he is threatened when he sees a person who looks like they are of middle eastern descent getting on an airplane and what happened to him. He was fired from PBS due to saying that honestly on the air. I think Juan was right and he spoke the truth, and I am glad Fox hired him immediately afterward. He does a great job and he was being honest. They make me feel threatened as well.

So, to me, terrorism isn't just the act of killing people, it is the "threat" of it happening any day, any time. We are all "terrorized". Think about if a backpack is found abandoned in a busy city, now a bomb squad is called instead of a passer-by just picking it up and looking for an I.D.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/terroris...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

The contemporary use of the word is intended to effect an emotional response and engender fear, anger, and support for whatever action is offered to address a State's susceptibility to such violence.

My opinion is that any use of violence or threat of violence that causes harm in any interest other than immediate self-defense or the defense of another is terrorism. The state sanctioned violence that most regard as Rule of Law is a type of terrorism when groups that have assembled peaceably are kidnapped (arrested per PATRIOT ACT), beaten, pepper sprayed, or threatened is a type of terrorism.

• Terrorism is instilling fear into a population by committing acts of violence, in order to achieve political objectives.

The reason it's such a big deal is because the PR spin-meisters behind the western worlds military machine have turned it into a big deal. Those countries and groups in the middle east that oppose our policies there have almost ZERO military power, and so their only way to strike back at our military presence is by carrying out mostly small attacks on our civilian population. So, in order to discredit them and make them seem despicable we call their tactics terrorism, even though those tactics result in far fewer civilian casualties than our actions in the middle east do.

There is a robust difference between respecting an opinion and fighting to protect a right to unfold an opinion. The opposite of respecting an ideology will not be suppression. If it would not damage any person else, then I haven't any correct to suppress an ideology or an opinion. I may just disagree with it, however I feel that it should be covered underneath freedom of speech. However that still does not imply I need to admire it. If it hurts others, then i'll certainly battle to suppress that ideology.

Terrorism actually already has an accepted definition. It is a public act of violence against noncombatants for the purpose of persuading a government to alter it's policies.

Terrorism is acts of violence committed for political purpose.

Terrorist threats are crimes involving a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another(s).

Terrorist acts include any act of physical violence, murder, mayhem, stalking, rape, torture, kidnapping, home invasion, etc, that terrorize others regardless of whether they are committed with that specific intent.

Personally, I draw the line at all of the above.

I believe forcing same sex laws and abortion laws on people who are against same is a form of terrorism, No one forces a law of heterosexuality on gays, or forces a law on woman not to get pregnant or when she does to raise and educate it.

When innocents are killed it's terrorism.

Like when a suicide bomber blows himself up in a public place. Or when a US drone kills women and children in a residential neighborhood.

The NRA qualifies as a terrorist organization bc they rely on keeping Americans as terrified as possible in order to establish and then expand their political power