Ginny
Ginny asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Should I read John Green's books?

I LOVE reading with all my heart and I'll read pretty much any book. And I've heard people rave about John Green's books. So what's holding me back?

I just don't really like...emotional books. Or, let me rephrase this. I'm not a fan of YA books that are ALL 100% emotion and deep issues, etc. Of course, I've read a few books like these---The Perks of Being A Wallflower, How To Say Goodbye In Robot---and I've liked them a lot... But take Sarah Dessen's books, for example: don't like 'em. Too many mushy-gushy emotions and feelings and issues that don't feel realistic. The teenagers are too DEEP, if you get what I'm saying? It feels false. And they leave me feeling a bit depressed.

That's what I assumed John Green's books are about. But now I'm wondering: are they? I already know my friends' opinions but I'd like to get other peoples' output. Are they the emotional/deep/serious books I'm thinking, or is there more? If you like them, WHY do you like them?

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

Okay. Um. How can I put this.

I absolutely love love LOVE John Green books. Only author who has make me cry.

Now, I understand what you're saying. There are genre's of books that I just cannot read, but I do love fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, horror, and a little bit of romance can't hurt. Okay, I'm lying. Romance is good. Just not too much of it.

Hmm. I haven't read one of Dessen's books, but I have wanted to. But I'll take Looking For Alaska as an example. I loved it. It isn't really all about romance, but yes, it is included. It's pretty sad, I'll admit. To me, it doesn't feel false. I feel like a teenager may actually go through some of the emotions that the characters go through (I don't want to mention any spoilers).

John Green books are pretty serious. The last one I just read, The Fault In Our Stars, hit me really hard in the end. Not because of the subject (which made me understand what patients actually go through) but because of the... characters and how I felt I almost knew them. I don't know. I can't explain it.

They are deep, but they do have meanings. To be honest, the meanings are pretty hard to... comprehend. You have to dig deep and find your own perspective, really.

I can't really just give one reason why I love John Green books.I mean, people will love them, people will hate them. Majority of people I know have loved his books.

But we're all different. You won't know if you don't try it out.

Source(s): It's sort of like how I couldn't get into the Kane Chronicles when I can read almost anything else. I also have trouble getting into the Percy Jackson series.

A friend of mine liked the Looking for Alaska one. I couldn't get into it.