? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 years ago

What should I major in if I want to be a Plaintiff Lawyer?

Any help would be great!

I am thinking I would like to go into personal injury or corporation

Favorite Answer

Plaintiff in what? There's all kinds of law with all kinds of plaintiffs - criminal, corporate, entertainment, malpractice, personal injury, contract, etc. A plaintiffs lawyer is just the one who represents the person filing suit or legal action. So that can be any kind of lawyer.

Generally, you need to get a bachelor's degree and do incredibly well on your grades, be active in clubs, be elected to some student office, and do lots of volunteer work. Your major doesn't matter as long as you take the required classes for law school. Then you have to do really well on the LSAT. (Law school admissions test) Then you spend another three years in graduate school for a law degree. Then you have to pass the bar exam for each state where you want to practice (that varies a bit about the exam, but you have to get admitted).

Then good luck getting a job because unless you work in a rural, low population area, there are way more attorneys than there are jobs. Become fluent in another language, like Spanish. That will make you more employable.

I suggest you go down to court and watch cases and see what a "plaintiff's lawyer" really does in court. Then realize all the background stuff they have to do to be ready for court. Oh, and bring a book with you because there are lots of dead times where nothing is happening.

You might consider becoming a paralegal. Higher demand, a two year degree/certificate, and you get to have a life. Not as much money, but you won't have massive debt to pay off and you can start at 40K or so, depending on where you work.

Source(s): Retired lawyer.
  • Galen

That is very broad -- a plaintiff's lawyer encompasses every area of law, as does defense lawyer. The difference is who initially files the lawsuit.

You should take whatever you are interested in. There is no better major. If someone is saying there is, then that specialty is sure to be flooded and oversupplied. Don't listen.

You could list off majors and I will explain how they will each help you. The law covers everything and so you will go into an area of the law that matches with your interests and your major. You will be very valuable if you have a unique perspective, interest, or experience. If you want to go to school for film, go for it. That can be very useful as a trial lawyer. Medicine? Useful in malpractice. Therapy? Good for trial ability and client counselling. Engineering of any kind? Great for in-house counsel, a related government agency, or even IP law. Theater? Good for trial work. English? Invaluable for the massive amount of writing you will do as a lawyer. Philosophy? Great for the logic, and writing as well, of law school and later practice. Education? Useful in trial work and education law. CIS? Great for many upcoming areas of law needing lawyers who understand. Economics or Business? Good for several regulatory agencies or in house counsel. Just about anything has an area of law. Heck, you can go into sports law. There's a regulatory agency for anything -- get a nutrition major and sue on behalf of the FDA; experience farming or mining is even very useful. Knowledge is needed in every possible area.

They are all great. I would warn ever so slightly against criminal justice or government. If that is what you love, do it, but too many people think it will somehow prepare them better than any of the courses listed above.

I agree with poster below as well: learning a second language is invaluable. However I would recommend an asian language like Korean or Chinese over a European language like Spanish. Especially if you end up going a business type route. If you go into public service sector, spanish may indeed be very useful instead.

Source(s): Law Student. Many lawyers in family.