Do I need working LAN card for configuring a wireless router?

I have Dell Vostro 1510 notebook.

I use wired broadband connection at home and wireless at office.

The LAN card /adapter inside seems to be busted. The computer does not see the device at all.

As an alternative, instead of buying a USB lan card, I thought I will get a wireless router for use at home.

I just bought TP link N150 wireless router- yet to be configured.

Now when I check the user manual, it says that I need to connect the router with a PC's working ethernet adapter using cable for running the setup.

I am confused now. Why router cannot communicate wireless with PC for running the setup. What is the solution? Can I get another PC temporarily to run the setup and then access wireless from my PC?

Favorite Answer

"Why router cannot communicate wireless with PC for running the setup".

This is more of a security feature than a convenience factor.

If a WLAN could be accessed via WiFi, then it would be easy to modify the Administrative settings by anyone in range of the unit; and likely insert themselves into your data stream(s). This is one type of 'man-in-the-middle' hack.

By default, most routers have this, but there is a setting where you can modify it...but I strongly advise against it if you want elevated security.

And yes: any computer with a browser (iE, Firefox, etc.) and a NIC card can be used to set up a router...they are not conjoined as a result of the connection.

FYI:

Go to your router mfgr's website & get the User Manual for the unit.

You'll need to use this for navigating around the 'Administrative interface".

(While there MAKE CERTAIN to check for 'firmware' updates to your model!)

Wireless Router settings:

With a CAT5 cable, tether the router to computer; open a browser; in the address bar type 192.168.X.X (see User Manual for exact address for administration interface address) & find the Settings for Security).

Default entrance info page: http://www.routerpasswords.com/

In the "Security" heading: Set for WPA (WPA2 if your computers support this level) & AES.

(Use WEP only as a last resort: it's apprentice work to crack).

Also;

For the 'SSID' broadcast: give your network a new name (nothing obvious!) & write it down on tape then put that on the router itself; it will be needed to 'Add' your WiFi network later in your computer settings. Once that's entered, TURN OFF SSID broadcast.

To prevent Google from geo-mapping your network, do this: "...opt out of having your wireless access point included in the Google Location Server. To opt out, visit your access point’s settings and change the wireless network name (or SSID) so that it ends with “_nomap.” For example, if your SSID is “Network,” you‘d need to change it to “Network_nomap.”

Disable: UPnP; QoS and "Ping reply" (unless using VoIP or gaming); and WAN access to Administrative interface.

Change default router Administration "Username" & "Password" (not the same as Internet access password, which would be the PSK (Pre-Shared Key)).

Make them obscure and complex.

PSK's should be over 9 characters; letters & numbers (mixed), not words. Write your selection into a unit handbook FIRST, then enter the values into the slots. Also put this # on tape & put on the top of the router for easy access.

You might want to also set (in 'Connections') as 'always connected' to prevent disconnects when there is no activity to or from the Internet.

These changes should be "Saved" or "make default" before you disconnect the CAT5. See your manual for how/where to do that.

Computer settings (XP):

If you're using Windows to configure your WiFi, go to Control Panel> Wireless Network Connections> Wireless Networks tab; here you'll need to identify all WiFi networks your system 'sees', and "Add" your newly named network which will NOT show unless you do (your SSID was turned 'Off'); then for your own (or preferred) network, highlight it, then 'move up' to the top of the list,

►► Under the 'Advanced' button, tick 'access points only' and uncheck 'Automatically connect to non-preferred networks' >close > OK.

Vista/Win7 is somewhat different:

To access these settings go to Control Panel (All control panel items)> Network and Sharing Center> Change advanced sharing settings.

There are 2 basic modes: A) Home & Office; or B) Public. Each of which can be tailored to suite your particular situation.

For A)

You may want configurations that allow maximum interaction with minimum connection issues to other devices in your known network.

These may include "turning on" Network discovery [which has deeper security implications]; File & Printer sharing; Public folder sharing (read description first); File sharing (read description); Media streaming; and so on. These config's allow particular functions, so read carefully what they do, and decide if it's what you want.

For B)

When "on the road", you'll want minimum outside access to your system resources.

Keep as much as possible blocked/turned off to prevent snooping.

Again, read what each topic does and decide if it's what you want.

'Save' the settings before closing out.

No its not required.