I haven't filed taxes since 2009, can I file my 2011 taxes only?

I haven't filed since 2009, I had my tax information from 2009 to 2011 sent to me from the IRS including all W-2's. I currently cant find the packet they sent to me because my aunt had it and misplaced it. I do however have my W-2 from 2011 and I need to file from that year to get my student financial aid rolling. Can I just file for 2011 and file 2009 and 2010 later?

• Bobbie
    Favorite Answer

Yes you can BUT you really should also be doing the other past year years and get them in the mail at this time in your life NOW ASAP.

The below information for the 2011 income tax return only NOW.

http://www.irs.gov/

Choose I need to file my return and go for it.

Filing Options

Everyone can e-file, and everyone can e-file Individual tax returns for free

http://www.irs.gov/Filing/Filing-Options

Last year, nearly 100 million taxpayers opted for the safest, fastest and easiest way to submit their individual tax returns — IRS e-file. Since 1990, taxpayers have e-filed nearly 1 billion Form 1040 series tax returns safely and securely. E-file is the norm. And now, with Free File, everyone can file Form 1040 series tax returns for free!

Hope that you find the above enclosed information useful. 11/09/2012

Of course. As noted, the IRS will hold any refund for 2011 until the 2009 and 2010 returns are filed. You should also know that the drop dead date to file for a refund for 2009 is 4/15/2013.

YES

However unlikely to get a refund IF you were required to file for those years and/or owe taxes

Get them ALL filed, but you can start with the 2011

STOP procrastinating, as you are commiting a crime by failing to file when required to do so, and this can come back to haunt you for years to come

You're already late for all the years, so get them filed NOW

Request another transcript from IRS to get the other years filed. . . . .sitting on the IRS phone forever will be your punishment for lack of organization and attention to your legal obligations

Source(s): tax pro

No trouble. There's targeted consideration for many who serve our nation within the armed forces. If you're serving in a fight zone or in a contingency operation (or are hospitalized hence of an harm got whilst serving in such an subject or operation), you may have at the least a hundred and eighty days after you leave the unique fight zone/contingency operation to file and pay taxes. See newsletter 3, armed forces' Tax guide.

Yes.

The IRS may hold your refund (if any) until you file 2009 and 2010.

• Judy

You can, but if you were required to file for either of those years and it looks like you might have owed money, any 2011 refund will likely be held up.

The IRS computer will do a lean and mean calculation. They will treat you as single, no dependents, credits or deductions. If you appear to owe, they will not release the 2011 refund. If it's obvious you don't owe, they will.

• tro

you are late on every year, file asap any and all of them