Native Americans- what do you think when people dress up as Native Americans for Halloween?

this Halloween, I saw a lady in my college dining hall dressed up as a Native American (alot of students and faculty at my school wear Halloween costumes to class/work). Im not Native American, but I still thought that it was offensive, I dont know this lady, but it just seemed wrong to me, like mocking, especially considering we have a pretty large amount of Native American students and professors on our campus. What do you guys think?

Favorite Answer

Would it be acceptable for white kids to wear black face and dress up as black people? Would it be acceptable for them to tape their eyes slanted and go as asians? No? Well, this isn't acceptable either.

It's stupid, racist, and deeply offensive.

btw....pretty danged presumptuous of all the non-natives who decided to answer a question addressed to native americans. Sadly, that's rather typical. Non-natives love to think that they know all about us, because they watched "dances with wolves". They don't know jack.

Source(s): Navajo

However through out the country we mimic eachothers dress and style of clothing. Native Americans included, taking trends from other ethnic groups and adapting them. Native American's are involved in gangs and or mimc that dress style are not being disrespctful, how about wearing a cowboy hat or dressing along the lines of your favorite white or black hip hop artist? What about dressing as a samuri or ninja for halloween? These arent fake made up things they were historically real people. THere is a big difference between wearing the clothes popular historically to another group and putting on face paint with the intent to insult or mock.

Were the explorers of the 1700s insulting Native Americans when they adapted there dress? Or were they showing respect and honoring that the Native American Culture had learned and adampted to survive?

When is it Ok to honor a culture by mimicing there dress and style and when does it become an insult.

Rather then dress as a native American Dress as an early european, lets see animal skin clothing, feathers bone jewelry etc etc etc. The dress of Native Americans today is very different then it was in the past as it is with all cultures and at some point in every cultures development they dressed in a not so terribly different fashion.

• Salish

Only about as offensive as a descendant of Nazi's dressing up as a "jew" for halloween.

Or a descendant of Slave owners dressing up as a "slave"/"black person" for halloween.

Why is it...that the rest of the world can see why its NOT ok to dress up as other races, except for Native Americans?

Edit: Its blitz is right...why are people hating on her? If I chose to dress up as a Black person it would be racist as hell, and if a black person chose to dress up as a white person, it would be too.

Source(s): Suquamish Not a theme, costume or fantasy No, a costume does not honor my culture

Sure. Particularly. Would you paint your face black and costume up like a slave? Would you gown up like a awareness camp jew in nazi germany? It is unsuitable to decorate up like a stereotyped mockery of anybody else's race. Peculiarly ones that your possess ancestors tried to exterminate.

• If they are not a small child, who was put into a costume picked by their parent....I think them either a dumb trend-whoring sheep....or a person extremely ignorant of the world around them.

And I pity those who claim it's all in fun, or that we should feel honoured.

Source(s): Ojibwe......not a Native American

It is wrong and racist DON'T DO IT, native americans have suffered hundreds of years of abuse by the U.S don't be an *** and help negative stereotypes

Source(s): Nah-Gah-Chi-Wa-Nong Ojibwe reservation

Theres only one race, the human race, but still, it's offensive

Racist , what if someone (who isn't white) dresses up as a white person it would be racist and ignorant.

Don't care.

Source(s): Shawnee tribe