Does chest X-ray, Belly X-ray, Abdomen X-ray?

Hello all, I have been sick for 3 month for stomach issue, shortness of breath. Yesterday I went to ER. They took Chest X-RAY, Belly tummy X-ray, abdomen X-ray. Also, blood test. The doctor told me X-ray blood work everything normal. But I am still very sick. My question is does chest X-ray, belly tummy X-ray , abdomen X-ray can pick up cancer or ulcers. Thanks you so much everyone.

Best Answer

This is something that you need to discuss further with your doctor, but they would typically take these images for things like:

Enlargement of specific organs

Kidney or gallbladder stones

Tumors

perforation of the intestines

Abnormal fluid & air accumulation

Unless your condition was very obvious, a plain radiographic image is unlikely sufficient for a definitive diagnosis. The ER doctor sent you home because you are not dying, and that is really their job, if you are still really sick, you need to check in to see a GP, and have him do some further testing and/or refer you to a GI doctor.

Hopefully your GP will do a complete history, fecal test and repeat the blood work, or ensure that he has a copy of both the blood work and x-rays. who knows, but down the road, it is possible that you could be getting a urea breath test, endoscope, colonoscopy, or CT or MRI. these might be necessary for the doctors to figure things out.

To specifically answer your questions:

not all ulcers will be found on a normal x ray. Sometimes the doctors will have you ingest a substance called barium, and then take an x ray or x ray video (fluoroscopy) of your intestines.

not all cancers can be found on a normal x ray. only certain types and larger tumors will show on an x ray. A CT or MRI would give a better finding.

If you have had a stomach issue for 3 months you should have gone to a doctor not the ER.

I don’t know where the belly is. Apparently it is different than the abdomen. Maybe you mean the pelvis?

I also do not know why you would suspect cancer, but tumors do show up on x-ray although it is not the best test for that

Source(s): I am a cancer registrar.
  • thea

Yeah, the radiation of UV lights or something they've on X Rays is bad for the child, your not purported to be even in the room or something when someone is getting an X Ray, however they have coverings they may be able to put over your belly. Give an explanation for to your X Ray surgeon that your pregnant if he doesnt comprehend, and if your being pregnant health care professional doesnt understand about the X Ray, tell him. Or if their the equal character, simply ask him in regards to the harm it could purpose

X-rays do not see soft tissues very well. If there is a large mass or tumor then this will typically show up otherwise a CT/MRI scan is the proper tool to visualize the internal organs. They inject contrast agents to make the organs and circulatory systems stand out when doing these tests. You may want to discuss this with your physician if you do not get better or have concerns.

Best Wishes

Source(s): Cancer survivor

Diagnostic x-rays do not cause cancers.

The radiation dose is very low.

You must have seen at least one doctor.

That doctor has your history.

You have not even given us your age ?

Plain films of the abdomen and chest will not show gastric ulcers.

If you are a teen as I suspect, the chance of a malignancy is very low.

Source(s): MD Medical Oncologist and Hematologist - a cancer and blood specialist doctor - with twenty years experience.
  • There would ussualy be some sign. A hard to see tumor, something of the sort. However if your still not content on the data ask for an MRI.

You need to talk to your doctor about this.

As you probably know x rays give out radiation. Radiation has been known to cause cancers. You are only aloud 6-10 times to the chest in a lifetime.