Eric asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 7 years ago

How do you teach a student who is in ISS often?

I am a high school biology teacher in their first year and I am running into a problem now that we are almost half way through with the school year. I work at a school with a very high at-risk population and as a result, some of my students spend more time in ISS than in my classroom. Often, it's due to a problem they had with another teacher. I am curious as how we, as teachers, are supposed to combat this issue.

I usually have 2 graded assignments per week and if a student is in ISS, they are missing those assignments. They are usually not ones I can simply just send down to ISS and expect the student to understand; they are challenging enough that I work with the students to help accomplish it. Do I just enter zeroes in the gradebook because they're not there? How can I expect them to a learn a complex subject like Biology if they're not in my class half the time?

I struggle with being able to just say "oh well, don't get sent to ISS and you won't have zeroes" but at the same time it's not fair to the other students who come in daily and work hard if the ISS student can still somehow earn a good grade even thought they're not in class. HELP!

Best Answer

This is a big problem that I have had to deal with before. I don't know what the situation on your campus is, but hopefully one of these solutions might be feasible for you.

If the student is special ed, you might be able to have one of the special ed teachers or aides help the student while in the ISS setting.

During my student teaching, I was able to convince the principal to allow me to pull particular students out of the ISS environment for my class only.

The last option would be to use conference or PLC time to go help the student down in the ISS room. Our district is really pushing for cooperative planning times, so each core teacher has an extra period each day (in addition to their conference) for planning with team members. If there needs to be a specific student intervention, it can be done during that time.

I realize that none of these options is ideal. It is super lame to have to give up your own time to give extra time to student that is suffering their own, deserved punishment.

I understand your frustration!