Is there a one true Bible version in this world?

I know there are many different versions and they all are different in many ways. They add and take away scripture. They change words around and make it difficult to trust one of them. I know this question will result in biased answers and recommendations for all different kinds of Bibles. Hence my question. I know also that there are not any original manuscripts which makes my endeavor in finding the best or most true version extremely difficult. Thanks!

Update:

i@Mom C

No, I'm not a first responder, it's just a random word I chose.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

That would be the King James AV 1611.

I have studied this for many years and all the other Bibles are leaning to the Unitarian side of the Alexandrian manuscripts and beliefs of the Gnostics, that have been around in manuscript form, since the 3rd century. Its basically changing the word of God to fit the Mystery Religions of the world (ie - the Occult).

Some scholars talk about the "originals" and you'll see a lot of churches say that they "believe" that only the originals were "inspired" but they don't know what inspired means. Inspired is when is was spoken so the originals had nothing to do with the inspiration since they were written down - even the penned words of what the prophets were saying is an act of preservation.

But then we come to the Purified part of the word of God which almost all of the What We Believe Statements leave out and, in fact, are not even aware of. Its as though they can not read or see this doctrine in the Bible ...

Ps 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

... but you know, the new Bibles change this. Thus, this doctrine is mostly omitted from those Gnostic Bibles. Here's the Scholar's example of this same passage.

Ps 12:6 The promises of the LORD are promises that are pure, silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times.

7 Do thou, O LORD, protect us, guard us ever from this generation.

See the difference? They've changed the words to - promises. You know why they do that? Because these scholars of "higher criticism" change God's words and when God's word says that He'll purify His word down here on earth as silver tried in a furnace - that's exactly what happened when the King James Bible came into being.

They therefore must change this passage to keep their students in the dark but, fortunately, I've never been one of their students.

If you want God's Purified Word on this earth then you'll stick with the KJV.

• 7 years ago

There is no one "true version". The oldest manuscripts that exist come from different textual traditions that were already known. Most differences are inconsequential -- the spelling of a name, or the substitution (by misspelling) of a different word. None of them changes essential doctrines of Christianity. The Bible is an exceedingly important work, but it is not God, and we do not worship it.

Translation of the original Hebrew and Greek is a very tricky business. Respected scholars can disagree on the meaning of passages, and it matters whether one's approach is "interlinear" (word-for-word, obscuring the meaning because of differences in syntax in the original and target languages), literal (can make it very difficult to understand), or "for the sense" (making the biases of the translator the arbiter of how it should come out.) An then there are malicious translations, where the intent from the beginning was to bolster a favorite set of doctrines (fringe groups are known for this.)

The best thing to do for a serious person is to find translations made from the different textual traditions and compare them. Don't make a doctrine out of something that isn't found in the other manuscript types. This is a very difficult task.

Forgive me.

/Orthodox

• 7 years ago

The ideal would be to learn Hebrew and Greek and read the Bible in the original language. Since the vast majority of us will never do that, we have to settle for something less. An interlinear Bible would be a good compromise because you have the original text and an English translation side-by-side for comparison. Even if you don't know the original language, a good lexicon can help. Just understand that knowing the definition of words alone isn't enough because you have to know grammar in order to fully understand the text. In truth, there are some passages which are difficult to understand even for scholars.

It's noble that you wish to have as clear and accurate an understanding of God's word as possible, but as long as you adhere to the doctrine of sola scriptura you will always come up short. The Bible was never intended to be the sole source of doctrine. It wasn't written with that purpose in mind. So even if your Bible was 100% perfect, you still would not understand it perfectly (unless, perhaps, it contained 100% perfect explanatory notes).

• Fuzzy
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

What you speak of in your comment is naturally because the Bible is a thousands year old collection of ancient literature in ancient languages. Thus we have the problem of translations. If you were able to read Koine Greek, Aramaic and old Hebrew - you wouldn't have this problem.

A you can see from the KJV, many of the words back then were not understood by those translating - thus the at times strange words for animals in the KJV.

All we can do then is to rely on many translations to try to erase the translations errors and biases of the translators. This works, but takes study.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kerry
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The most correct, closet to the original Hebrew version is the King James Version.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

you are confused becouse the lies of your land ruled by the zionist. For the True Bible..you have to ask to a Catholic ..the bible that they use is the correct one. The others are from humans opinion..changed and false. (Kjv is the most similar to the Catholic). But the others like new version..the hebrew are false.

Is not important if a Bible is wrote in hebrew or another language, the sense is always the same.this are discussion of fanatics (protestants, evangelic and all the rest) false churches at the service of the Zionism.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

We know that their have been many improvements to my living word since the beginning buy it has all been to make the Bible more understandable to read for all of Gods children. The King James is still the favorite,especially the one distributed by the Gideons group,The new American standard is what my Catholic church uses and it is the best. But a Strong's Concordance to help you in your studies.-Jesus Christ

Source(s): The Holy Apostle James the Greater
  • 7 years ago

As far as a linear version to read from, I like the Interlinear (English/Hebrew/Greek) to include, Strong's Concordance reference system. However, the best version is the Living version written upon your heart and mind.

• 7 years ago

The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

God has preserved His word, it is for you to seek and find. Understanding comes from Him, and out of His mouth.

For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Out of His mouth.

• 7 years ago

just get the KJV and you will do fine. anti's will try to discourage you by saying alot of things against it. just get it and read the bible for yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.