Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 8 years ago

Why do I suck so bad at first person shooters?

Its like I die all the time.

Yeah, I just started and play online. I always get pwned.

Its like they know I am there 12 days in advance before I even realize I am dead, if that makes sense. I generally try to hide but with the pros it don't work.

Favorite Answer

I'm assuming you are talking about multiplayer first person shooters.

First thing you will need, and I'm sure you will hear this answer a lot, is practice. It really does improve your odds.

Some general tips include studying your maps. Do you have a favorite map? Learn the inns and outs of it until you can picture every building in your mind. If you do capture the flag maps, learn the fastest routes. If you do team death matches, learn the spots that can snipe into the enemy safe spots (yes, it is spawn camping... but it does make a newbie feel better about himself.)

In any case, play team games more as a beginner is my usual hint. This keeps you from just getting slaughtered like you would in a free for all.

Once you are on a team match, look at the map. What is the most direct route from your base to theirs? If you are on a large disorganized game (most games are, unless you go on clan warfare servers) then you can bet that the enemy will randomly walk along the shortest path from their base to yours. Sit in a spot where you can easily take out the enemy if they go through a door and sit and wait for them. Also, in case you can't tell from this tip, don't rush the enemy just because you can respawn fast. Let the enemy come to you in your safe little nest.

Customize your controls: This usually applies to computer games above console games, but many consoles let you do some amount of customization. It may seem silly, but if you know EXACTLY where every button is, you won't press the wrong one. You might look online to see if there are any suggested control schemes, or just experiment and keep it if you like something more.

While I'm on the topic of what other people do, I'll mention this briefly... The system you use does matter. Someone who has 100 frames per second and a faster connection speed is slightly better off then someone who has 10 frames per second and is on dial up (FPS on dial up? I guess its possible...) so look at the frames per second of your game. If it is running less then 20-30, consider lowering the detail level of the game in the settings. It may not look as pretty, but if it runs faster then your reaction time will be slightly better. Also, if you lag a large amount, consider using an Ethernet cable instead of a wireless connection.

Ask questions. Did someone pull off something so cool that you don't even know how they did it? Many good gamers will be happy to instruct a new player. Others will be happy to brag on how they did it, and you can still learn. The worst that can happen is that people don't tell you their secrets...

Watch play videos online. You can find many youtube videos on kill streaks and things like that. It does help to watch a Pro do what he does best.

Consider joining a clan. There are many newbie friendly clans out there that offer regular training and tips sessions. This may give you unwanted obligations to be online, and a set group to hang out with, but they can greatly increase your player performance. Remember what I said about clan matches above? They tend to teach their players strategy, and to stick together. You are aiming to pick off stragglers, and people who train together and have tactics survive longer.

Whenever you die, try to figure out where you went wrong. What killed you, how did you get into that situation in the first place? Why did you lose that encounter? What should you do differently next time? How can you avoid letting that happen again?

Consider playing a few games that are designed to teach you about how to play fps? Portal 1 is a great game, and I promise you will be better at FPS because of it. America's Army (produced by the army) has a great set of tutorials that will make you better at FPS in general. The SWAT games all have great tutorials in-game that teach better FPS control. There are many great games out there that encourage you to be better at the genre.

I'll say it one more time... practice... It really is important. You won't get better overnight. You won't be ready to tackle the best of the best for years, and it may be that you always end up in games with people better then you. It happens. Its like chess in that you have to loose many times before you will win.

Keep it up mate, and I hope to see you out there in the FPS world!

Source(s): I was (and still am) not the best at FPS once as well. You might look at the following sites. I fully agree with their advice: http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-in-a-First-Person-S... http://www.fpstactics.n.nu/be-a-winner

We all have sucked playing FPS games, but eventually you get the gist of it. Here are some tips which can help you during competitive play whether it's Halo, BF3, or COD.

1. Use your environment to your advantage. Dense grass makes quite the camouflage and everything can be used as cover. Use hallways as choke points and find high ground will allow you to pick off enemies with an advantage. Avoid going into the middle of the map, this leaves you open to fire from all sides. Stick to pathways and flanks.

2. Already explained, but cover is important! Hunkering down onto some good cover will give you an advantage in a firefight.

3.Through experience, find which weapons excel in specific maps. If the map is very large, with lots of open ground, get yourself a sniper. Got a tight spaced apartment complex, bust out that boom stick!

4. If you feel like you're getting unlucky, play with ZEN. As you approach a well covered corner, sit there and clear your mind... then shoot the idiot running into the room.

5. Watch your corners! People always pitch a tent, and the best way to get those darn happy campers is with a surprise! Always expect the unexpected, and maybe swing a flashbang into room or two.

6. Dying is natural. If you feel like you're dying too much, change your tactics. If you're still dying, Zen it out. If that doesn't work... Use a grenade launcher...

Source(s): Rational thinking.

I, too, am new to FPS games: My first one was MW2. But after having some schooling, I've gotten way better and I am at the 14th Prestige in Black Ops. I have some pro tips: The first SMG class is the best combination for beginners ever, basically because of the insane HFA (hipfire accuracy). Using a 3 Shot Assault Rifle with a Reflex Scope is a great technique, hipfiring with a Famas without Steady Aim is immediate death. ALWAYS. USE. SEMTEX. If you want to use tomahawks in hopes of getting a great replay, that's fine, but Frags are the worst. Finally, the best Scout-esque class to use is Perks-Lightweight, Steady Aim and Marathon Primary-Silenced SPAS-12 Secondary-Last Unlockable Pistol with Rapid Fire Grenades-Nova Gas and Semtex And a Claymore/C4

You have to constantly think about the location of the enemy, imagine them running around on the map in your head and think about where they're going. Play according to this and you should be fine.

Generally just try to use more tactics when you're playing.

Well If your playing online and just started don't worry you will improve...however if you have been playing for awhile offline or online it may be your tactics....how do you usually go into a fight?, do you have a strategy or do you pull out some shotgun rain on those mofos

• Jack

The more you play the better you'll get.

FPS games take time to get used to, and even more time to get good at.

You can't really hide from good players, in most games you just have to shoot first. :)

There Are Too Many Try Hards .