Whats the best small town in Texas?

I'm looking to move to Texas in the next 2 years and I wanna know what the best small town would be. I have a 2 year old daughter who will be starting school by then and I will have my degree in Criminal Justice and will be looking for a job in the local police department. I live in Southern California now but I want to find a place where I can have a lot of land and start a ranch at some point. I'm just looking for ideas here. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Texas is big, so you should start by figuring out what you like about a place to live before deciding. For example, do you want to live near mountains, the plains, the Gulf Coast, the East Texas piney woods, the Hill Country near Austin, close to a big city, or far from it... Many people have many favorite places...

But...you may want to consider something in the Hill Country. It's a little more pricey for real estate, but there are reasons. It's beautiful...and near Austin which is the upcoming, younger city in Texas and home of the University of Texas. Lots of action...with the possibility of living in a smaller community outside of town not too far away.

Wow...this is one of those questions that could require a really long answer! But here's a couple of suggestions.

First, try finding your job first, before attempting to move over here. Small town police departments don't pay as much as you might think, and coming from California you might be shocked at the pay scale in Texas. Also, it can be tough to get into some police forces unless you "know somebody" locally. Sad, but true. So check that out first.

Next, land values/prices fluctuate wildly, depending on what part of the state you're looking at. In the highly desirable Hill Country, land prices will make your jaw drop. In west Texas, they're more reasonable, but it takes more land to support livestock. Also, it would be a good idea for you to either have experience in ranching or to have someone who really knows the business to give you some guidance. One good drought year, like we had last year, can wipe out a ranch pretty efficiently.

Having said all that, here are some suggestions for your small town experience:

Fredericksburg

Boerne

Kerrville

Bastrop

Castroville

Columbus

Wimberly

Jefferson

Mason

Llano

Johnson City

Blanco

Rockport

Lockhart

Cuero

Buda

Corsicana

These are all towns of fewer than 30,000...some significantly smaller than that! There are dozens more, of course, but I know all these personally and they all have something going for them.

Good luck in your venture!

I always liked going to Glen Rose, although it has 2000 people. It's the county seat of Somervell County and the town square has a historic courthouse in the middle of it.