Air Force Medic vs. Army Medic?

I'm thinking of joining either the Air Force or the Army as a medic to pay off my college/medical school. Should I join after college or after medical school? Which training is more extensive?

So should I go before I attend college? I assumed the GI Bill would cover my loans even if I joined after my higher education.

Sorry I didn't realize that Medics and Army/Air Force MDs were separate entities.

Favorite Answer

the training is not identical in AIT nor at unit level.

army medics are field medics. while ALL medics and corpsmen attend the NREMT-B course at the start of their training that is where the similiarities end. During army medic AIT they are taught field and combat medicine. air force medics are taught hospital and fixed wing aircraft flight medicine. they are nothing alike.

at your unit you will continue to train for your job. it is pointless for a hospital medic to train extensively in tactical combat casualty care, and it's pointless for a line medic to train on how to change a bed pan.

if you go to medical school you will not be a medic, you will me a MD (assuming you graduate as an MD). MDs do not work as medics

edit: yes, MDs and medics are sepereate entities. to compare it to the civilian world: MDs are MDs (no real change there) while medics are like paramedics, LVNs, or CNAs depending on what role they are in. In a line unit or field unit they are like paramedics, in a hospital they are like CNAs, and in a clinic they are like LVNs.

edit: I think Dr Clueless's name is appropriate, since he obviously is clueless. ALL medics and corpsmen go through the EMT-B program which encompases BLS. training in ACLS depends on unit, in a field unit (ALL field units, navy included) there is very little reason for it for several reasons: we don't carry AEDs, we don't carry lifepaks, we dont carry the drugs needed for cardiac arrest, since if it is experienced it is from truama and most likely hypovolemia... you can shock and push epi to your hearts content if someone goes pulseless from blood loss, but you're not going to get a pulse back because there is nothing to push. navy corpsmen train very little in TCCC, the only time they get actual training on it is if they go green side. in a field unit EKG interpretation is also pointless because again, no one is stuffing an EKG into their aid bag. In the military those things really only come into play in hospitals and some aid stations. btw, I can guarantee that my scope of practice in terms of what I am allowed to do alone is much larger than your scope of practice that you have to do under supervision. also I think it's funny you were ragging on air force medics, since air force medics and navy corpsmen go through the same exact training program (for the most part, air force actually gets a little more training that the navy does not get) where as army medics have their own. you can see the differences in what you will learn at your MOS school here, http://www.metc.mil/Catalog/ p10 for navy and air force, p11 for army

Source(s): former medic 82nd airborne

Air Force Mds

Im willing to bet that the Army will give you a greater chance at using your skills, VS the Airforce being more ouches and boo boo like practice. Over all though both are about the same. As far as schooling goes, Go to college and become ROTC get a medical degree and become an officer. the college will be paid for , you will recive medical staff bonuses from the military (at lest the Army will pay you extra) and your pay will be higher and have less people in charge of you.

Source(s): 11 years Airborne Infantry.

They're what we call "vitals techs". They're training is so narrow to the point that they have a limited scope of practice and therefore only function and specialize in small aspects of the medical world. Whereas Navy Corpsmen specialize in the basic aspects of medicine. We are trained not only in taking vitals, but also do minor surgeries, patients care, shipboard care, field medicine, medication administration, BLS, ACLS, EKG, TCCC, etc. The Navy Corpsman is more medical experience in general. Air Force and Army medics function relatively similar to each other.

Source(s): Active USN Corpsman

Why in god's name would you graduate from Medical School and then join the service as a Medic and not a MD?

Do you understand that medics are not doctors.

Medics are enlisted personnel.

"I assumed the GI Bill would cover my loans even if I joined after my higher education."

You assumed wrongly, the GI bill is not a loan repayment program.

Go Army Medic and join before that way you can use your GI bill

The training is identical, in the Army you will get to deal with many more trauma cases.