Nemo asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 7 years ago

How is basic training during the holidays?

Im leaving next week to Army basic training and I was told I was going to be there for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. So how is it during those holidays? and what will I be doing if I don't go home? Thank you in advance.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

Thanksgiving is like a Sunday. There is no training, and all but essential duties are suspended.

During the Christmas exodus, some may get to go home and this will count against their leave time.. If you stay, you will be given more than your fair share of "busywork" to keep you occupied. .

If a job takes one man 3 hours to do, 3 of you will be assigned 8 hours in which to do it.

Same for New Years' day. Enjoy the day off.

• 4 years ago

In the unlikely event that you are in basic training during the Christmas season, you will possibly get the opportunity to take leave. Usually, basic training cycles are scheduled around the Christmas season, so this will probably not apply to you. Other than that possibility, you will get ONE day to spend with your family: family day. This is the day before you graduate from basic training. There will be a LOT of rules laid down about what you can do and where you can go. Follow them all, and do not return late. Also, someone will need to be present to "sign you out." This means that if nobody comes to visit you, you stay within the confines of the company area for the entire day.

• ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

All I remember is lots of good food over Thanksgiving. There is always stuff to do. Details, etc. Chance for church, if you are so inclined.

Source(s): been there
  • Eric D
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

Lots of cleaning, you'll probably get put pass for a few days, on post.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

it's fun. You get to clean most of the days on holidays... but you get slightly better meals.

Source(s): U.S.Army Disabled Veteran 19K20 M1A1 Abrams Heavy MBT 1990-1996
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Turkey dinner, mop, buff, sweep, scrub, polish, - church -, mop, buff, sweep, scrub, polish, - turkey dinner -, mop, buff, sweep, scrub, polish, - church -, mop, buff, sweep, scrub, polish, - turkey dinner -, mop, buff, sweep, scrub, polish

You get the picture

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.