Help with police brutality research paper?

I'm writing a 2000 word paper on police brutality. I'm realllyy struggling with an outline for this topic, could somebody please help me out?

So far I've got

Thesis: Basically that people have had to put up with police brutality for the last couple decades and it's still going on today.

-some history of police brutality

-A couple of famous cases of police brutality (covering the use of tasers)

-Causes: ie) mob mentality, lack of discipline, prejudice

-Biases

-The costs of police brutality

And so far that's what I've got. Any improvements, advice or anything??

Thank you so much!

-

Police Brutality Research Paper

1

Source(s): Criminal Records Search Database - http://SearchVerifyInfo.com/?sSWy
  • rysavy

Police Brutality Essay

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

So far I've got

Thesis: Basically that people have had to put up with police brutality for the last couple decades and it's still going...

Source(s): police brutality research paper: https://shortly.im/SpJ6q

Get a No Cost Background Check Scan at https://bitly.im/aOkkC

Its a sensible way to start. The site allows you to do a no cost scan simply to find out if any sort of data is in existence. A smaller analysis is done without cost. To get a detailed report its a modest payment.

You may not realize how many good reasons there are to try and find out more about the people around you. After all, whether you're talking about new friends, employees, doctors, caretakers for elderly family members, or even significant others, you, as a citizen, have a right to know whether the people you surround yourself with are who they say they are. This goes double in any situation that involves your children, which not only includes teachers and babysitters, but also scout masters, little league coaches and others. Bottom line, if you want to find out more about someone, you should perform a background check.

I assume you are doing this paper and are in school. Go to the school website and find somewhere you can access the library page, there you should be able to get onto an accredited research database. Think about keywords on your topic and try searching them. This will take a little bit of time but you will have solid research and not someone guessing on here. I am entering graduate school in criminal justice and if your professor/teacher is anything like the ones at my school you will have to cite EVERYTHING.

Yeah, how about you present a balanced view of so-called police brutality. Show the OTHER police brutality, like the four Washington officers murdered as they prepared to go on duty. You mention the TASER in connection with brutality. Be advised the TASER is the greatest single law enforcement tool since the invention of handcuffs. I am TASER trained and have taken the full five-second ride. The TASER has prevented much lost time due to police injuries that taxpayers have to shell out for. FYI, as soon as the current is shut off, recovery is virtually instantaneous. I know you intend to do a hatchet job on cops, as evidenced by the way you have written this information.

Source(s): Former deputy sheriff/corporal
  • q S

You need to define the terms police brutality (perfectly legal and standard procedure when a person disobeys) vs. excessive and unreasonable force (not legal, the officer is subject to criminal action and the department will be sued).

You might search for "use of force continuum"

The police have the authority to use force to overcome resistance and defeat escape. When people violently or even passively resist, the police can use force.

I have been a police officer for 40 years. There are times when the police may get carried away in a physical confrontation. But widespread police brutality is a myth perpetuated by those who either choose to break the law, or who choose resent police authority.

Police are human, and make mistakes, but there are very few instances of verified "brutality. And, almost every time that the police must resort to the use of force it is because some ahs refused to comply with the police officers lawful orders.

A perfect example is the Rodney King case. The officers who beat Rodney King were wrong, and they were eventually prosecuted and convicted for that incident. However, if Rodney King had complied with police directions and surrendered peacefully, none of that would have happened.

The use of tasers is actually a great way to reduce the use of far more dangerous and damaging physical force. Would you rather be hit with a baton which can break bones and create long lasting bruises, or stung with a taser, that carries no after effects?

And, since you are "writing a paper" let’s start out with the fact that your thesis is invalid. There is no statistical or credible anecdotal evidence that that people have been "putting up" with police brutality for any period of time. Since the inception of law enforcement, people have resisted lawful authority, and lawful force has been used to overcome their resistance. Yes, there have been instances of police brutality, and that hardly fits your premise.

I might also add that since you have never had to arrest someone who just doesn't want to be arrested, you have no first hand knowledge of how difficult that can be. We have a duty to the public, and we cannot just walk away if someone decides that they don't want to comply. In 40 years, I have been shot at, stabbed, cut, punched, kicked and bitten. I have no hesitation to use reasonable force to accomplish my mission.

• Walter

Don't be stupid and you won't get your a$$ kicked. How about that for a paper. Here...ask Chris Rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Youtube thumbnail