What would it take to start our own farm and garden?

I'm in love with the idea but I'm positive it requires a lot of work.

I know I would have to (or want to) buy additional land for the farm and garden to go on, I would love to have a few hens for eggs and have chickens, cows, pigs and a couple of companion horses. I would also love to have the garden to grow my own fruits and vegetables.

That sorta thing fascinates me..why? I have no clue.

My motive is have healthier food (so I'll know where it's coming from) and like I said like two companion horses to ride for fun.

Anything I should consider before looking into this or anything I shoul know?

I know nothing about farming and we live in Oklahoma.

For the cattle and pigs/chickens etc, do you have I slaughter and pluck them yourself or can you take them somewhere?

Ps. I know this is expensive but I'm also pregnant with twin boys and I think this would teach them a great work ethic. Of course I wouldn't start tomorrow because I am pregnant and I don't want my husband doing it on his own so I would probably dart in about 2 years but I figure that enough time to plan for that sorta thing...

Favorite Answer

You don't need a few HUNDRED acres by what you described as for now you would just want a small self sufficient farm. We have a small 22 acre farm in central Virginia and its working just fine. Yes you can send your livestock to the butcher there is usually a small fee of like $100 per small animal (sheep, goats & I think hogs count too) if you want dairy cows get a Jersey. The average family milker only produce 5 gallons when milked once a day unlike Holsteins who produce 8-10 gallons when milked once a day. And hens are fun to have too, we have liked Rhode Island Reds & Buff Orpingtons the best so far (we've had chickens for 8 years next spring) if you want strictly meat chickens get Broilers they are a meat breed but you MUST butcher them before 3 months or else their hearts will explode from eating SO much, or they will starve because they get too fat to walk to the feeder. I'm not sure what sort of hogs you want but I'd recommend Yorkshires or Berkshires. Yorkshires have great market value and good maternal instincts as Berkshires have great market value as well, but is considered a delicacy. We are getting Berkshires soon :) also when you birth your first litter of piglets you'll need to cut their teeth otherwise they will get "bored" and will chew tails, ears, ect. Off of their siblings!

Lastly congrats on the twins! And when they are 5 years old put them in 4-H it is a WONDERFUL program where they teach kids animal husbandry, responsibility, money management, and showing livestock. I'm a 4th generation 4-H'er and it is really my life, I have had so much fun doing it and Almost all my friends are in it too. It is a great program in all 50 states and 80 countries around the world. It's great especially for parents to learn too.

Good luck with farming! (Ps some of my favorite farm books are "The Story's Guide" series!)

Source(s): Farmer & 4-H'er :)

the only purpose of the universe it to illustrate capacity in to count number, that is allotted decrease back to the source theory. concepts are capacity, so once you're careful with the way you note a theory then you definately might want to get wealthy basically by technique of effective questioning!! The universe would not administration our destiny or opt for which route we ought to continuously opt for. We administration each and every ingredient of our existence. we can continuously have loose will, that is not likely interfered with by technique of an exterior source, although our soul does know the precise journey we've already wanting to journey as a way to spiritually evolve. So, the soul will use what we label "instinct", that is an overpowering feeling that is complicated to ignore to be someplace or do some thing at a particular time. even if we commit to do after we ensue is thoroughly as a lot as us. If we do not take from the adventure what we were meant to take, then the soul will watch for yet another similar danger to get up.

You don't have to go all out to do this. A small hobby farm like this could be as small as 20acres. Truthfully, anyone could raise a couple of hens but I don't suggest cows or pigs without expecrience. you could easily learn to handle their daily care but you also have to think about breeding, dehorning, casterating, and transportation. You could probably get a free older unbroke horse just to have as a 'lawn ordament'. the chickens you would slaughter yourself you would bring the cows and cattle to a meat locker.

So, you will need a few hundred acres. You will only get veggies and fruits during the growing season. Do you have any experience with animals at all? This isn't something that you can just decide to do one day. If either you or your husband have experience with animals than go for it. Horses need to be rode quite often. If you want healthier food, go to the local farmers market.

Just after the end of the last ice age (about 8,000 BC to 10,000 BC) hunter gathers in and around the "fertile crescent" of what is now called the middle east began to be able to settle down and learned to plant and harvest edible plants they had previously gathered. This made more food available and the first major human population boom. Because of this, people were able to stay in one place for much longer periods than their nomadic ancestors because they had surpluses of food from the plants they raised and the animals they began to domesticate, enough to allow them to expand their knowledge and resources on other things other than food...!!