If i join the navy to become military police what type of civilian jobs could i get?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Best Answer

If you still want to work in that field, you can "apply" to become a federal agent, police, security guard etc... Different agencies, police departments, companies will have different requirements. Keep in mind that just because you were in the military, it does not mean that you are "guaranteed" the job; you will still have to compete for the job against other applicants.

Or if do not already have a college degree, you can use the G.I. Bill (if you meet the requirements) and get more education in whatever fields that you may want to get into. Just because you were MA in the Navy, it does not mean that you will have to be in Law Enforcement for the rest of your life (I was a Bomb Tech. in the Navy and now I am a Forensic Accountant).

• J.W.
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You could try to get many different jobs. Being an MP usually won't help you get police officer jobs any more than having had any other job in the military. As far as getting police officer jobs after you get out goes, it doesn't really matter what branch you choose or what job you do. Being a veteran is what can help you get police officer jobs. Veterans get extra points on civil service tests and preference for federal jobs. Some police departments that require applicants to have college will waive some or all of their college requirements for veterans. Also, some people simply like to hire qualified veterans whenever they get the chance to. Choose whatever branch and job you want to. As an MP, you might not be doing much traditional police work regardless of what branch you join. What duties you perform can often depend on where you are stationed. Also, many military bases or installations have federal civilian police officers (sometimes referred to as DOD Police or 0083s) that do most of the policing. Have you considered trying to join the Coast Guard? You could try to become a boarding team member. Make sure to get a college degree. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. You could also consider trying to become a special agent with the Army Criminal Investigation Command, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, or Air Force Office of Special Investigations at some point. These positions are not easy to obtain. Best of luck!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

The military...no branch nor any job therein...does NOT train or certify you to be a Cop in the civilian world.

Military service will give you 3 things toward becoming a Cop in the civilian world:

1. A steady work history

2. Veterans Preference Pints in the hiring process

3. A source of funds (GI Bill) to get the required education, training and licensure required to get hied by whatever jurisdiction you are looking at working for.

And you will get all 3 of those things no matter of you were a Cook, MP, or truck driver.

• 7 years ago

MPs are tools that get used by the marines. Pick a tech job and set yourself up for success.

Source(s): 5 years in the Navy
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Mall Cop!

• 7 years ago

A job working the front door at Wal-Mart..

• 7 years ago

Basically any job involving law enforcement, like a cop, you could probably get.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Gee, I wonder. Hmmm, maybe....POLICE.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.